Emma

"I'm so sorry Mr. President to interrupt," I said as I started to open the door, " I have this article and I think you'll want to read it." As I finished opening the door to the oval office I realized nobody was in there. I laid the folder on his desk and found a sticky note 'I think you want to read this, come see me when you do, thanks -Emma P.' I wrote it down on the note and stuck it on top. He would want to see this and have me deescalate the problem quickly. 

I walked out of his office and went to mine there was a few things I need to finish before I went home. I decided to go home around 6. If he found the letter before then he knew where to find me. 

6 rolled around quicker than I thought. The president still hadn't come to see me. I started to pick up my things and put them in my bag so I could go home. I heard a knock on the door, slightly hoping it was the president so I wouldn't have to deal with him at my house or on the phone.

"Come in," I said as I turned towards the door.
"Hey, I was going to see if you want to grab some drinks," my friend Amber asked.
"I think I'm just going to head home, watch some Netflix. it's been the longest week ever." honestly I just didn't feel like going out tonight "maybe tomorrow" giving her a slight smile.
"Okay well I will see you tomorrow." it was Friday but you never stop working when you work at the white house. I made it to my car and left. I got home. changed, settled on my couch with a glass of wine and Netflix, it took me around twenty minutes to figure out what movie to watch. I settled on some cliché girly movie. after that I found supernatural. I could watch these episodes for hours, and I did. It was 11 when I heard a knock at the door, who the hell was at my door. I grabbed my robe and headed over to it. the worst part about where I live is I don't have a peephole. I opened the door and on the other side was the president. i- looked like a mess right now. oh my god, my boss was at my door and I looked like a cat had dragged me in.
"uhhh, Mr. President, can I help you?" I asked with the door only half-open. his men were standing there but they were faced the other way.
"I read this, we need to talk," he said started to make he was in my house.
"I guess come in," I couldn't leave the president just standing outside my door, "can I get you anything? tea, water, coffee?"
"no I'm good, thanks though," he said making his way to my table. I was still in my fucking robe. uh, should I change or no it's fine. it'll be quick, he will leave. it's fine. "you need to shut this down."
"Yeah I figured that's what you want me to do," I said sitting down across from him. he sat the article down on my table 'the president and first lady falling apart?' the headline read. "how?"
"how what. how do I want you to shut this down" he got up. he stands or paces when he's nervous. "how you normally do it, says that we are strong, that the American people have nothing to worry about, that we are just busy." right over course, lie to the American people.
"Mr. President, with all due respect, the people can see when you guys aren't doing okay, which would be now sir, you don't show up to a girl's house at 11 p.m. you don't have big bags under your eyes from not sleeping. you don't try to get out of the house when things can wait till morning. all the staff knows the reporters know. the people know sir."
"I don't care. fix it," he said with a stern tone that kind of made me flinch.
"yes sir."
"Emma I'm sorry. I didn't mean to raise my voice." he came and sat beside me. he lightly places his hand on mine. that when I noticed, how blue his eyes were. I mean I always knew. but right now. there was something different about them. was it sadness or fear or the unknown? I laid my head on his shoulder and he gave my forehead and small kiss. "thank you for fixing this."
"of course, it's my job," I said just taking in his scent. "you probably should go." I need to get to bed soon.
he stood up, as did I, he looked me deep in the eyes "2 minutes?"
"Yeah, we can." he grabbed my hand and led me to the couch. he sat down and let me sit down right beside him. I was so close I could feel his heartbeat. then I started to wonder, how in the world did I even get here.