first day back

After I left the oval I have made my way to James' office. We had a small chat about what I said to Jack. What rules I had decided to put in place. James stood by me. He was family and he agreed that the plan we had made was the best decision not only for us but for the sake of the country. I left his office and started leaving the White House. That's when I saw Hanna. I was deciding if I keep my head down and keep walking or if I say hi.

"Emma! Hi, how are you?" She said giving me a hug. This was different, to say the least. The last time I checked we weren't on good terms but maybe a couple of months of distance does the trick. "What are you doing here?"
Ah, there it was that fake smile and the million-dollar question. Do I tell her or let Jack. Yet another million-dollar question. I'll let Jack do it.
"I was just here for a meeting with James." Maybe one day I'll stop lying to her face, but today wasn't that day.
"Ah, have you seen Jack?"
"No, I haven't," I offered her a smile with the lie I told.
"Oh, weird I thought he said that the two of you had a meeting today."
Shit. She knows I'm lying to her face now.
"We were supposed to but I have an emergency. So I had to reschedule. I think I'll be back tomorrow to see him. To have a meeting with him." Careful Emma tread lightly.
"Oh well, I better let you go then, good luck."
"Thank you madam first lady," I started to walk away. I knew this might be a bad idea but it was worth a shot. "Ma'am," I turned back around. She had only made it about 15 feet from me. "Would you like to have lunch after my meeting with the President? We don't have to. It's just been so long since we've talked and-"
"Yes, Emma that would be lovely. I'll meet you in my office say 12:30?" At first, she looked confused when I asked her. Then her face turned soft. Still hinting at confused but she gave in. I'm surprised by that.
"Perfect. Goodbye ma'am"
"Goodbye Emma"

I quickly made my way out of the White House. I could have just thrown everything away with a couple of lies and an invite to lunch tomorrow. I knew she was on her way to see him. Why else would she be on this side of the White House? Hopefully, he was as good of a liar as he said he was.

Hannas pov

After seeing Emma I made my way to see my husband. We had the daily meeting just to touch base. Sure we weren't on the best terms but we have to make it through his terms for the sake of the nation. I knocked on the door and opened it not waiting on a response. He looked up from his paper and looked back down. I made my way to the chair beside his desk and sat down.

"It's a shame that Emma had to cancel your meeting until tomorrow. I ran into her in the hallway on her way out. Some sort of emergency?" I said. I had a feeling Emma was lying to me. If I could catch Jack in a lie, I could confront her tomorrow at lunch. "We are having lunch tomorrow after your meeting. I mean me and her. A little girl's lunch. A little time to catch up since we haven't talked since she up and left."

"Yes, it was a shame. But our meeting can wait I suppose. I'm not sure what the emergency it was I didn't hear much only what she told James. That's good that you guys are having lunch tomorrow. It'll be good for you two to catch up."
"Yes, it will be. What's your meeting about anyway?"
"Uh well, her taking her position back."
"She's coming back?" I glared at him. That's when he finally glanced up from his paper. "Jack... I thought we had moved on. I thought we were past this. I'm going to lunch with her! And what I'm supposed to just be fine with it. You didn't even ask me."
"Well, number one stop making assumptions. Jesus Hanna. What you think she's going to swoop in here and take me away from you? Well, new flash Hanna it is over. She and I never happened and it won't. And it doesn't matter if we did or do anyways. You and I are done and are only doing this for show and you know that. Number two I didn't ask for your opinion cause I don't care about you opinion. She was coming back whether you like it or not. I asked james because he cares. This is a power move. She's the best press secretary we've ever had and will ever have in the future and you can't dein it."
"Wow... just wow Jack," I can't believe him. I don't think I've heard him talk like this in a long time.
"If that's all then you can leave."
"Whatever Jack. I'll see you tonight for dinner I suppose."
"Yeah whatever"

I left his office and was going to make my way back to my office but first I had to make a stop.

"Madam first lady. To what do I owe the pleasure?" James said looking up from his papers and setting his pin down.

"You knew. You knew about Emma coming back and you said nothing. James, I thought we were a team." I stood by the door with my hands on my hips.
"See ma'am that's where you are wrong. I don't have to tell you anything because I work for him and you know that. I don't work for you. When I tell you things it's because I feel like it not because we are a team. I didn't tell you about her because we still barely know if she's sure about coming back to work here."
"What is it with everyone today. First him and now you just yelling at me. Saying whatever you want. She must be something really special because this only happens when she's around."
"No ma'am we just don't give a damn anymore. Now get out of my office."

I quickly turned on my heels and made my way to my office. I had about 200 questions to ask Emma tomorrow when we have lunch. Now if i try to be nice or not. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

____

AHHH THANK YOU A MILLION FOR 1000 READS. I KNOW ITS NOT MUCH BUT ITS GROWING!!