Looks can kill

The next day I got ready quickly and made my way out the door. I was running late for so many different reasons. I woke up late. I laid in bed and completed even going in for too long. I couldn't find my left shoe. I couldn't find my keys. I didn't have time to stop for my drink. |Something at the white house would have to do today. I walked into the Oval Office after throwing, yes I threw it, my purse into my office. Hanna was sitting on the couch. I didn't even think to knock, which was rude I see that now but normally I'm the first one here so I didn't think.
"Good morning ma'am," I said flashing her a smile.
"Guess I'll be going," she said looking at Jack. On her way out she gave me a cold glare. Weren't we just friends a few days ago? This woman is confusing, I bet Jack gets it worse.

"What's up with her today? We were fine when we had lunch just last week and today if looks could kill, well you and I would both be dead," I said to him as soon as the door closed. That earned a small chuckle from him.
"The thinks I'm lying. About you," his voice lowered. "About us."
"There's nothing there. She does know that right. Whatever happened in the past..." I slowed down. I knew it was time to head to the window. "Whatever happened in the past is done. I made that very clear when coming back. and sorry about busting in late. It was one of those mornings where everything went wrong and normally I'm the first one here so I didn't think about knocking. I haven't even had my coffee yet."
"Yes, something about once it happens it'll happen again like once a cheater always a cheater. You're fine. No biggie. You probably should get some coffee or energy in you. I know how you can be if you don't."
"Jesus... I'm sorry but overdramatic much." I don't think I could have rolled my eyes any hard. "Honestly might need to just go straight to something stronger at this point."

Yet another laugh left his mouth. "Why didn't I wait for you?" He glanced into my eyes. Searching and hoping for something to come out of it. Hoping my eyes would say things that I actually wouldn't.
"Because if you would have waited, then you would have been single. And if you were single you wouldn't have won governor so then you wouldn't have even run for president. And we probably would have never met. Everything happens in order for a reason. Even if it doesn't seem right."
"Like you leaving me, that happened for a reason."
"You were married, Jack. You still are married. If I didn't leave things would be so much worse right now. You do know that right. You also know I have given up everything for you. My family, my job, my boyfriend, and possibly my reputation." I let Noah slip up. He looked at me a little harder.
"You didn't have to do any of that. You could have stayed away but you chose to come back. And boyfriend, I didn't even know about him so how was it my fault?"
"I came back because..." I stopped I knew if I said why. I would have to walk away. Again.
"Why? Why did you come back? Because you sure as hell still haven't told me."
"Forget it jack. Never mind. Forget I said anything. I need to go. I have to go do my job." I started walking towards the door.
"Yeah just walk away like always," he said slightly under his breath. It was loud enough I still heard it. I just shook my head and rolled my eyes as I opened the door. He could say whatever he wanted but it wouldn't change anything.

I finally got a coffee and headed to my office. I picked up my purse and took off my coat. I hung them up and then finally sat down in my chair with my drink. I put my head in my hands and was heartbroken. I came back because I loved him. But I couldn't tell him that. I felt a tear slip down my face.