complications

I was headed back to D.C. I was glad to go home for a while and get a break. I was almost dreading going back to work. I knew what I had to deal with when I got to the white house. Nobody suspected that there were any problems in the White House between the first couple. I made my way into my office and barely got my bag down when I got called to the oval. Great just what I needed on my first day back. 

"Good morning Mr. President. Good morning ma'am. I hope everything went well while I was gone. You know after I-"
"Emma, stop talking. What you said to me on the phone was unprofessional. I don't know where you think you got the right to speak to me like that," Hanna said to me.
"Ma'am, I said what needed to be said to do my job. Do you understand that if I didn't say what I said the way I did my job would be so much harder? That you," I was looking between her and Jack. Jack wouldn't look me in the eyes. He was fixated on the floor, I think he was hoping that it would open up and swallow him whole. Almost like he was thinking of something to say. "two could make it easy for me. But no the two of you have to make everything more complicated than it already is."
"Well if it weren't for you and him-"
"Hanna, that's enough!" The president said with a boom. He had finally found his voice before the floor took him. "Emma had to do her job and you just complained the whole time so I don't want to hear it from you anymore. Hanna, you're dismissed. I will see you later."
Hanna took a deep breath and let out a loud sigh. It was very clear that she wasn't happy with either one of us. She made her way over to the door and slammed it shut. 

Now with the information about how thin the doors really were, I headed to the windows.  I gave him the look and nod of come over here.
"so you know? about them finding out," he said to me.
"wait, you know? how long have you known?"
"since a few days after it happened," he said not looking at me again.
"Almost a year ago and you didn't think to tell me. I had to find out from Carl." I got to where he would make eye contact with me.
"We never needed it after that night. We never have had to sneak away or get away from everyone and we won't... unless?" he said. There was a shimmer in his eye that I hadn't seen since that night. The shimmer was wishful and full of hope. 
"No, sir. Nothing has changed. Did you have fun while I was away?"
The look in his eyes when I changed the subject broke my heart. But I couldn't let it get to me. I told him nothing would happen between us and I intended to keep that promise to him and myself.
"I had so much fun with my wife. A blast, the best days of my life, I think I should spend more quality time with her," with the most sarcastic tone I've ever heard him say. I let out a small chuckle and rolled my eyes. He flashed that bright smile that I've missed.
"Do you want to have a drink later? After I'm done with work?" I asked him. This was a risky move. Maybe a move giving him more hope. I hope he doesn't think into it too much. "I'll meet you back here in the oval? After a week with my family, I need a drink. I'll have to tell you all about them."
"That would be lovely. I'll see you in a few hours then?"
"Of course Mr. President, I will see you later. Goodbye, sir."
"Goodbye, Emma."