word vomit

Jack

I sat down on the bed with my back to Hanna. I slowly took off my shoes.
"What's wrong han?" I asked. "You're being too quiet."
"Just thinking," she said.
"About?"
"The bunker..." I heard a small shake in her voice.
"What about it?"
"What happened down there. Between you and Emma. What's been happening between us and Emma. Tell me the truth please."

I let down a deep sign before turning to face her. "Honestly, nothing is happening besides the sole fact that I love her, that I am in love with her. Hanna I can't keep lying to you. It's not right, but I will always love you but I'm not in love with you. You are the mother to my children and you're still my wife and I love you always just not like how I love her."
"If you love two people always pick the second person because if you truly loved the first you wouldn't have fallen in love with the second."
"I'm so sorry Hanna. I didn't mean to let you down. To let the kids down. To let the country down."
"How and when," she questioned.
"Day one. But she turned me away. It's was hard to see her every day but I couldn't stop thinking about her. Nothing happened until inauguration night. Then again that night when I went to her house. Then she left after the accident. She left because of you mainly. She couldn't keep lying to you. But you knew right. She figured you knew but you wouldn't say anything. Why, why didn't you confront us."
"Because I was scared. I didn't want to face the truth. I couldn't fathom how I let her in my house, around my children. I opened my arms for her and she opened her legs for you."
"Don't blame her, please. This is all my fault. If you need to be mad at someone be mad at me. But I think it's time Hanna. I don't want to wait until after the election."
"You think you can win without me. With a divorce on your track record."
"Maybe, I'm not sure. Having a divorce might show the American people that I'm just like them. That I'm not perfect and I have flaws."
"Yes, you do."
"I think it's best for the children too. If I don't win then oh well. I had one term. She'll be mad at me for not waiting because I told her we were going to wait. We had a plan but that plans gone to shit. I care about her. And I care about you. Just not in the same way."
"I know. I'll go sleep in lincoln tonight."
"No, you stay here. I'll go. I'm sorry Hanna," I stood up and grabbed a few things that I would need in the morning. I went to her side of the bed and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "Night Hanna."

She didn't say anything as I walked out. She had a few tear stains on her face. I knew this would be rough on her. I truly did feel bad but it was honestly for the better. I knew it was late but I needed to call James.

"Hey."
"Jack it's late. What do you need."
"Hanna knows. She knows about Emma and me. I had to come clean. She asked and I couldn't keep lying. We are speeding up the divorce."
"Oh wow."
"Yeah. That's all, I wanted you to be the first to know. Night James. We can discuss this more tomorrow."
"Night Jack."

——

I had woken up around 6, got ready and headed straight to my office. It was different not seeing Hanna and discussing what was coming up today. But I knew it would become a regular thing so I had to get used to it. James would be in soon so we could figure out how to go about this.

I was sitting at my desk when I heard a knock. I knew it was time.
"So we are really going to do this?" he asked once he sat down in his spot. I made my way to the couch too.
"Yeah it's too late to turn back now I suppose. We need to figure out what to say. What I am going to tell the American people. I don't think I can go out there and just say hey I'm in love with someone who isn't my wife so we are getting a divorce."
"No, you can't just say that. I think Emma needs to know." He said looking at me.
"I will call her. I want her to hear it from me," I rub my forehead with my hand, she would be mad. She made me promise to wait, but I couldn't. I couldn't just keep sitting around and waiting for it to not happen. I needed this sooner rather then later. And if I don't win re-election then oh well. Then I could spend more time with her. Where ever she wanted to go.
"Have you thought about re-election?" he asked as I looked up towards him.
"Honestly, not much. But I kinda told Hanna last night that it was whatever if I didn't win. But this divorce might show the American people that I am just like them and I make mistakes."
"Sure you could look at it that way but what if they think that this mistake will lead to other mistakes?"
"James I hadn't thought that far. It was like word vomit yesterday. Hanna asked so I said something. Well... I said everything."
"Call Emma. I will personally write something for you that doesn't make you sound like a man whore."
"Wait, what if I don't tell Emma. But her aids have been sending her press release so we send her what I want her to see then she can see it on tv. I'm just... if she knows before she will try to talk me out of it and I've decided. We, you, me, Hanna, we have decided."
"You need to tell her. Or at least try. Because I think she'll be madder if you don't tell her and blindsided her then give her a heads up. If you give her a heads up doesn't it make her job harder? Doesn't she always say something about that?"
"Yeah" I let out a small laugh and a deep sigh. "She does... what am I getting myself into?"
"I have no idea," James said.