hospital room

After what felt like hours of waiting, a text from James came through.

James: he's out of surgery. Hanna is still there but she should be leaving soon to go back to the house.
Emma: Thank you, James. She might need to give a statement. I need to talk to a few people and see what they think we should do. Depending on how long it takes for him to wake up and recover. Did they say when he should be up?
James: Hopefully soon, within the next few hours. I will keep you updated when Hanna leaves.
Emma: Thank you.

The hardest part of today was sitting on the wrong side of the hospital. I could be going something but I'm not. I need to know what is happening, I need to be in the room, but she won't let me. I never felt more stupid. I should have never done it, it should've never happened. I should have never got involved and I should have never told him I hated him. I sat there working on the next update and call many different people to figure what comes next. That's when I heard a click of the door and James was standing there.

"He's up, Hanna is gone. Emma, he asked for you," James said with a small smile.  I put my papers in a neat stack and left them in the chair beside me. I stood and made my way to the door with James. "He is still a little out of it but he'll get better soon."
I walked into the room and my breath was taken away. He looked like he was still dying.
"Um, James can we have the room?" I look at James trying to get him to leave.
"Yeah, I'm going to head home. The press probably won't be expecting anything till the morning. Try and get some rest," he gave my hand a small squeeze and he was out the door. I grabbed the chair by jack and moved it closer to his bed.

"Wow you look like shit," He joked in my direction.

"Have you seen yourself?" I tried to give a weak smile but tears ended up sliding down my face.
"I am so sorry. I never meant what I said. i'm scared. I love you jack but I shouldn't."
His hand made their way to my face to wipe my tears. It didn't work well since the tears kept flowing.
"Emma, honey, this isn't your fault okay. I understand why you said what you said. You were mad. and I love you too. After the re-election, I'm getting a divorce. So we can be happy."
I was still crying.

"She knows..." I sniffed. "Hanna knows about us. Or at least she assumes. I was trying to protect you. If she leaks to the press we are done. You are done. You are impeached. N more second term. I lose my job, probably would never find one again, at least not in this town."
"Emma. It'll be okay. We will work this out. Come here." He slightly shifted his body so there was room in the bed for me. He probably shouldn't have seen as he just got done with surgery. I laid beside him. I felt the small kiss on my head followed by tear drops. We fell asleep like that only to be awoken an hour later by one of the nurses. They had signed NDAs but that still wouldn't stop the talks behind our backs. After she left I laid down on the couch just in case. I wasn't leaving his side now and I didn't plan on leaving his side for a while. The man I loved was married and lying in a hospital bed. He could have died and my last words would have been I hate you. I don't want to be a home wrecker. I lay awake thinking all these thoughts. Thinking of how hanna let me into her home. How I was her friend, she trusted me, and how I slept with her husband. I let feelings get in the way of work. I sat up and ran my hands through my hair. He was sleeping, he looked so calm and peaceful, finally. I couldn't do this, I couldn't let him and hanna split up. I couldn't let him ruin his nearly perfect reputation. He had this amazing plan to get rid of her and move me in. It would never work. The press would never allow it. They would have so many speculations about us. I could see the headlines now; Emma Ponds, President's mistress, sleeps her way to the top. I have to get out of here. I quickly found a piece of paper and wrote a note.

I'm sorry, I love you but this is for the better. You do better without me. I can't allow you to break up your home for me. You know what he press would say. I have to go this is for your sake and the sake of the country. I'll be close by but never as close as I was.
               -e.p. 

I left the note beside his bed. He would wake soon and find it. I gave him a small kiss on the forehead and he didn't move an inch. I walked to the door with tears in my eyes. I looked back at him one more time. I left a piece of my heart there. I made my way home and drafted my letter of resignation.

Dear Mr. President,
Thank you for the great opportunity to serve my country as your press secretary. I served it with pride, honor, and dignity. I regret to inform you that I will be resigning as press secretary immediately. This choice has not come easy to me, but I believe it is not the fit for me. Good luck to you, the first family, and the rest of the white house staff.

Emma Ponds

I printed it there and signed it. I would place it on his desk first thing in the morning. Then I would collect my things from my office and leave. The letter would be given to him at the hospital. I know he will try and fight me but this is how it has to be done. i will never stop loving him but i need to move on.