Chapter Eight

"Jess, they are here." I say nodding in their direction.

"It's fine! Just ignore them! Have some fun!" she says pushing me towards the dancing teens. She's right. I'll just drink a beer, get a little tipsy but not too drunk that I won't remember anything, and dance my ass off! Maybe play a little game of spin the bottle or truth or dare.

"Alright let's go get something to drink then dance!!"

"That's my girl!"

We had to the kitchen and grab a bottle each. Then we head to the dance floor and dance to Jealous by Nick Jonas. I take a couple of sips every once in a while and make sure I don't spill it. Jess and I sing along to the song but no one can hear us because it's too loud. This guy comes up to us and starts dancing with us. He's cute in a nerd kind of way. He's not trying to grind on me so I don't walk away. Henry arrives so Jess leaves me to go hang out with him. I don't mind, this kid is fun. Some one taps me on my shoulder and Jake and Dylan are there.

I do not think I was ready for what they do. They go over to the speakers that are playing music and plug in Dylan's phone since my mom hasn't given Jake's phone back. The apology song from The Book of Life starts playing but it's a remix. It's a lot more upbeat and faster. There isn't any lyrics but that is quickly fixed when they plug in two microphones and start "singing" the song. I say singing but it's more like two dying ducks trying to quack for their last times. A lot of people start recording and I stand there in shock. Jess quickly finds her way back to me, ready to help me through their stupidness. Once the song finishes, Jake speaks first.

"Rose before you go running out of here as fast as a cheetah, listen to me. I am sorry. Dylan told me about your explosion and not only was he a huge target, I was too. I deserve every word you said. But you need to know I do care about you and if this is the only way I can show it then so be it. I can prove I care. Even if this makes me look like a fool."

He comes down and hands me an envelope.

"Open it."

I open it up. Inside is a bunch of pictures. Pictures of me and him our parents have made us take. Pictures of me playing soccor. Of me holding me trophies. There's some of me during a gymnastic competition then holding up the medal I won in that same day. There's some of me sleeping on him and of us sleeping on the couch during movie night. He's kept every picture of me since he found out our parents were dating. Then there's a note. I was saving these pictures for the dinner rehearsal of your wedding when I get to give a speech because I knew by then we would be in separable. But if you need these now to show how much I care then here. I don't want us to lose the weird bickering relationship we have just because you think I don't care. That I don't love you as a sister. Because I do. You are the best sister ever and I know you are going through some hard times so I will be there for you when you need me. But don't think that Im'm gonna ever stop bugging you because that's in my job description ;)

"Aww Jake!" I say the give him a hug.

"I have more copies of those pictures so you can keep them." he whispers in my ear as we hug.

"Okay."

"Now listen to Dylan"

He gives Dylan a nod and Dylan sighs.

"Rose I didn't mean to confuse you or mess with your head or make you explode like you did. I just wanted to tell you I like you. I like you a lot. I don't care how long we've known each other. To me it feels like years. I know Jess is helping you feel better and I want to too. Let me help you forget what's his name."

"Luke"

"Who?"

"Luke"

"Who?"