Chapter 1: Visions and Traditions

I leaned back against a large, oak tree, positioned at the end of our garden. It is the only place on our entire property where I can actually get some privacy.

The old bark snapped off as I shifted back and forth in my makeshift seat, trying to make myself comfortable. My mere touch causing the tree and the grass around me to wither and start to die. This was just a sign of how strong my power is. 

I have always been the most powerful warlock in my coven and nobody could explain why. For the son of a warlock and a witch, my powers were through the roof. I was more powerful than I should be. But nor I or anybody else was complaining. In fact, my coven was happier with it, they said I would make a fine member. I have taken up pride in that.

I flipped through the pages of my mam's book of spells and potions, frantically searching for the potion I desperately needed.

The old, yellow pages crackled between my fingertips, a few pieces broke off and floated down to the ground, gently landing on the brown grass. The potion I was searching for didn't have a name, it was just known as a vision stopper. Which if ask me, sounds like a name.

Finally, I found it, neatly tucked at the back of the book. I took my pocket notebook out and began to copy the list of ingredients and steps down.

As I wrote my left hand began to tremble, my right hand shortly followed. Large beads of sweat began to roll down the sides of my face, staining my cheeks with the foul stench. My eyesight got blurry, drowning me in the white and grey light. My eyes rolled back revealing the whites of my eyes, my head violently convulsed back against the uneven bark of the tree as I was flung into the vision.

I was running through a meadow, chasing a girl. I couldn't see her face as her back was turned towards me. We were laughing, we were happy.

The rays of the early afternoon sun bathed us in their warmth. The sweet sound of birds chirping filled the air, the strong scent of the nearby pine trees wafted in my nose.

The girl's beautiful laughter made me smile, my face ached with the motion, I was not used to smiling, it is not something a warlock does.

Eventually, after I don't know how long I caught up to her and tapped her shoulder. But when I did my foot caved beneath me and I tripped.

As I fell I grabbed her shoulder bringing her down with me. We hit the ground with a thud and rolled around in the soft emerald-green grass.

When we stopped, she was crouched on top of me. This just made us laugh harder, my stomach aching as I did so.

I still couldn't see her face; it was a blur. But I could see her eyes, they were a bright blue. Then like magnets, our lips were coming closer together.

Closer, closer, closer...

" Tobias!" My mam yelled, snapping me out of the vision.

My eyes rolled back to their normal position, the tension keeping my head back against the tree disappeared, my hands stopped trembling and the sweat stopped flowing. My whole body ached as it snapped back into its normal position.

" Coming!" I yelled back.

I packed my notebook away and slipped the page back in the back of my mam's book.

As I got up, the tree and the grass instantly came back to life. Flourishing as they had before.

Every step back to the cottage felt forced, my body still under some sort of strain from the violent convulsions I had during the vision.