Chapter 30: Bon Voyage

As we neared the forest I spotted Naomi and Gareth bolting through the trees towards the cave.

I chirped as loud as I could to try and get their attention. Even though Naomi nor Gareth didn't hear me Lily certainly did. She squawked, and instantly Naomi looked up in our direction.

Tapping Ava's wing with mine I nodded towards Naomi and Gareth. She nodded and we dive-bombed towards them, swiftly landing on Gareth's shoulders.

" Glad you guys could join us." Naomi chuckled.

I chirped back at her.

Exiting the trees we reached the lake and the cave.

I flew off Gareth's shoulder and shifted back. Ava swiftly followed me and I turned her back.

She laughed tucking a long strand of her hair behind her ear. Her eyes twinkled as she laughed, just another thing that I love about her.

" That was so much fun." She smiled stepping closer to me.

" Which part, the flying or setting the house on fire which by the way wasn't part of the plan." Naomi glared.

" We're sorry about that, but the house was packed and there was no way I could sneak Ava out like we planned," I explained, "Besides it was a great distraction." I added.

" It still wasn't the plan, we were supposed to get out quickly and quietly. The plan was not to draw any attention and you went and set a house on fire!" She yelled, her face turning red with anger.

" It doesn't matter. What's done is done and if the four of us want to leave before people realize we are missing then we need to get to the docks now." Gareth said slightly raising his voice.

Naomi shot one last glare at me then turned around and stormed towards the cave.

" Let's get moving." I mumbled grabbing Ava's hand.

We grabbed our bags out of the cave and set off on foot towards the docks. Naomi still glaring daggers at me any chance she got.

I know why she is angry at me but in my defense, it was the only way-sort off- and people would have noticed that we are all missing eventually.

Last night's snow made today's air extra nippy. Small clouds of steam rose as Ava breathed. She shivered pulling her jacket closer towards her freezing body.

I slowed my pace so that I was right beside her. Pulling her close I wrapped my jacket around her as well which seemed to be helping.

" How much longer till we're at the docks?" She mumbled resting her head on my shoulder.

" I'd say another fifteen to twenty minutes." I replied.

I looked over at Naomi just in time to meet another one of her harsh stares.

" You should talk to her." Ava whispered.

" You think?"

" She's your best friend, you can't just leave this void between the two of you."

Best friend, I've heard about those but I never saw that throughout my life Naomi has always been there. She helped me when I was in trouble. She made me happy when I was sad. She is the first person I think of when I need help with something. She is my best friend.

" You're right."

" I usually am. Now go."

She pushed me towards Naomi. She's actually stronger than she looks.

Taking a deep breath I walked up to Naomi and tapped her shoulder.

" What." She snapped.

" Easier tiger I just wanted to say I'm sorry. You were right I could have done something else but at that moment my stupid brain couldn't think of anything else. I'm sorry and I hope you can forgive me." I apologized.

Since this is the first-ever real apology I've ever said to her she looked back at me in surprise.

" Did Ava make you say this?"

" No, I wanted to. After all, it's what best friends do." I smiled.

All of a sudden she smiled and hugged me.

" Can't believe you finally called me your best friend." She softly cried into my shoulder.

" I should have said it sooner." I whispered squeezing her waist.

" Apology accepted." She smiled pulling away from me.

" Good."

" Now that you guys made up we can get going, I'm freezing here." Ava said interrupting the very special moment.

Just like I would do.

" I'm starting to see why you guys are mates." Naomi chucked looking between Ava and me.

Ava smirked lasing her fingers with mine and resting her head on my shoulder.

" Yeah me too." I laughed pulling her closer and kissing her forehead.

The docks were packed, filled with people trying to get out of the county. The steam from the boats filled the air.

" So where are we going?" Ava whispered to me.

Kazan!

" I've always wanted to go to Kazan."

" What's Kazan?" She asked.

I'm not surprised by her confusion, it's a small island that a lot of people don't know about.

" Only the perfect island to live on." 

" Okay, then Kazan it is."

" You're not gonna ask anything else about it?" Gareth asked.

"Nope, I trust my man." She smiled kissing my cheek.

" Okay so you guys are heading to Kazan and Gareth and I are heading to Dahlia." Naomi said.

Wait what?

" Oh, I thought we would all go to the same place." Ava sighed.

" So did I."

" I'm a grown woman Tobias I need to spread my wings and fly." Naomi said holding my arm.

" We just a best friend moment and now you're going leave me, all alone with this monster." I joked pointing at Ava.

" You could go with her and I'll go on my own if that's what you want." Ava growled but in a joking way which I didn't even know was possible.

" If you leave without me I will hunt you down."

" That sounds kinda hot." Ava smirked. 

" Anyway I know you will miss me-"

" I didn't-" I interjected.

" Shut up and admit you'll miss me." Naomi snapped. 

" I'll miss you." I sighed.

" I'm gonna miss you too you weirdo. But I'll see you again one day." She smiled.

" Do I at least get a hug?"

Her smile widened as she pulled me into a hug.

Tears threatened to fall as my best friend hugged me goodbye. But I know one day we will meet again.

" All aboard to Kazan!" A man yelled from a nearby boat.

" We should go." Ava said.

I pulled away from Naomi and hand in hand Ava and I rushed to the boat.

The boat jerked at it began to set sail. Ava and I waved to Naomi and Gareth and we continued to do so until they were out of view.