Chapter 41: Sacrifice

*Ava's POV*

" Why can't we go back?" I asked Naomi as she shut the door behind her.

" Because Tobias is handling everything. With Lizzie gone the threat is over. Tobias will be alright." She smiled as she gently rubbed my shoulder.

" Are you sure?" I asked.

" Yes, I am."

I wasn't sure what the feeling was or where it was coming from but I am sure Tobias is going to do something. He will do something drastic and I need to stop him. But first I need to get away from Naomi.

" I'm starving," I sighed," Would you like anything to eat?"

" I didn't even realize I was hungry until you asked." She chuckled.

" I'll see what's in the kitchen."

When I was younger I used to get horrible nightmares. They were so bad I was afraid of closing my eyes.  To help me go to sleep my father bought some drops to put in my food. Within minutes I would be out like a light.

Carefully I placed a single drop onto a buttered piece of bread.

" Here you go." I smiled handing Naomi the bread.

" Thank you." She smiled.

Like a wolf, she ate the bread with such ferocity. With every bite I noticed her eyes starting to close. And as soon as she swallowed the last bit of the bread her head fell onto the table and faint snores began to pass her lips. 

Grabbing my coat I bolted out of the house.

*Tobias's POV*

When I reached the temple I could hear loud, cackling laughter. Something wasn't right. Something bad must have happened or is about to happen. Something felt wrong.

Then I realized what was wrong. The link to the protection spell was broken. 

Like lightning, I bolted down the passageways and to the arena.

All the men were chained up and gagged. The coven laughed as my mam slowly walked towards them with a torch. She was going to set them on fire. 

She immediately stopped when she saw me a grin of pure evil plastered on her face.

" You see this Tobias, do you see what fate you have brought these men. Tell me what will poor Ava think when she hears that you led her father to his death, will she still love you then!" She yelled.

Using my new surge of power I snuffed out the torch and with the flick of my hand, the chains and gags disappeared into thin air and a force shield appeared around the men.

"H....ho..how is this possible?" My mam stuttered in fear.

I held up the necklace with a smirk on my face. The coven gasped while the men looked between us confused.

" He killed Lizzie." Violet gasped. 

" Yes, I did, which means I am now the new leader of this coven. Am I right Lauren?" I glared at her.

" Yes, you are." She mumbled as she looked down to the floor.

" And being the leader I also inherit a lot of power am I right!" I yelled. They all nodded. 

I conjured another spell and paralyzed the coven to the spot where they stood which caused them to scream in terror. I looked directly at my mam, as I held up the necklace and began to chant a spell they all recognized. 

" Et ego invocabo spirituum sunt, audient verba mea, et projiciamus vocationem maleficis auferat!" I yelled my eyes turning a mixture of yellow and blue.

Their eyes widened in fear and they let out loud ear-piercing screams. As I chanted the necklace glowed, the blue glass shining in my hands. And then one by one the coven began to glow the same shade of blue and were sucked into the glass pendant.

Lauren turned her head and with a look of pure horror, she watched my aunt be sucked into the pendant. She turned back and stared at me, anger and hate shining in her eyes.

She opened her mouth to say something but before she even had the chance she was sucked into the pendant.

The men shouted in happiness. Their battle was over and they succeeded.

But my battle isn't.

I know that they will find a way to escape the pendant. My mam will never willingly stay put forever. But they won't be able to leave if I am there to stop them.

So I kept chanting and it wasn't long before my feet began to glow a pale blue.

*Ava's POV*

Like a mouse, I crept through the broken-down pathways back to the arena. 

I wanted to scream in horror at the sight before me.

All the men were tied up and the witches were about to burn them. But Tobias got rid of the chains then put a shield around them. The coven seemed scared of his power.

"H....ho..how is this possible?" His mam stuttered in fear. 

He lifted up some sort of necklace and the coven gasped.

" He killed Lizzie." Violet gasped.

" Which means I am the new leader of the coven. Am I right Lauren?" He glared at his mam.

" Yes, you are."

" And being the leader I also inherit a lot of power am I right?" He yelled and they all nodded. 

He used another spell and froze the witches to the spot.  

Then he raised a pendant and began chanting. The witches looked at him in fear and began to scream. As he chanted the pendant began to glow and one by one they were sucked into the pendant. His mam was the last of them to be sucked in.

The men cheered in happiness.

But Tobias didn't stop. He kept chanting and started to slowly disappear from the bottom up. He was sending himself into the pendant.

" Tobias what are you doing!" I yelled as I ran towards him.

He looked at me with tears in his eyes. He raised his hand and a shield appeared around him. Blocking him from me.

" Please stop, don't leave me." I sobbed as he continued to disappear. 

Watching him disappear felt like hours. Like the devil, himself was stretching time out to torture me.

" Please." I sobbed as I banged on the shield, trying to break it down but it was useless.

He didn't stop, he looked at me, tears falling down his cheek.

" I love you." That was the last thing he said before his ashes were flung up into the air and into the pendant.