Chapter 33: Mermaids And Tales

*Tobias's POV*

The cold ocean breeze stung me as I breathed. The salt in the air made me feel a bit sleepy, but I need to be vigilant. I need to be ready for if the witches find us.

Ava and I have been sailing for three days and I can't wait to get off this boat. Even though I haven't used my powers the sailors can sense that something is wrong with me. I read that humans can sense witches and warlocks, that they can sense evil as protection. I didn't think humans could do it, I thought It was just a scary story that witches told their children to scare them but by the way, these sailors look at me I think it's true. I'm gonna need to do something to hide my power, maybe a cloaking spell will work. Because when we get to Kazan I don't want there to be any problems.

Apart from being not well known Kazan is known for killing witches and warlocks. It's one of the reasons I chose it. My mam wouldn't think I would dare go to a place like that.

" What are doing out here?" Ava asked from behind wrapping her arms around my waist.

She leaned up and rested her head on my shoulder, kissing my cheek.

" Just thinking." I shrugged.

" Must be thinking about something very important if you left me alone in bed." She smiled kissing my neck.

" It is," I sighed. I turned around and pulled her in front of me," These sailors can sense that something isn't normal about me." I whispered making sure to keep my voice real low.

" What!" She gasped," How can they do that?" She asked looking around at all of them.

"It's just something that's happened over human evolution. Humans have adapted ways to sense danger and that danger includes witches. Sometimes they don't know what the sense means but a few do. I was thinking that when we get to Kazan I will do a cloaking spell on myself, hide my power," I explained," It will just be safer." I added.

" This is all so inane," She shook her head," But if you think a cloaking spell will protect us, protect you them that's what you have to do." She cried.

" Okay, I'll do it tonight. Capitan said we should reach Kazan by the morning."

" What is in Kazan anyway?" She asked.

" Honestly not much," I chuckled," It's a small island with one town and a lot of countrysides."

" One town." She gasped.

" Yeah, personally I think we should live in the county side outside the town. It will be more peaceful and some sick scenery." I smiled.

" I have always wanted to live in the countryside." She smiled.

" Really?"

" Yeah, when I was about six I went to stay with my grandparents on their farm for about three weeks and they were the best three weeks of my life." She smiled.

" You stayed on a farm." I chuckled.

" There a lot you don't know about me." She chuckled.

" Oh really?"

" No, that's about it." She laughed.

" I doubt it." I smiled.

The urge to kiss her came so I leaned down and passionately kissed her. I kissed her with everything I had. She quietly moaned as I traced my fingers against her waist. I groaned as she pulled in the back of my hair pulling me closer until we had no space between us.

No matter how much I loved the dark and being a powerful warlock, but I love this moment right here even more.

" Westside!" One of the sailors yelled in fear.

Ava and I quickly pulled apart and turned to the commotion. 

Everyone was rushing towards the west side of the boat. A few screamed as something splashed out the water.

" What's going on?" Ava asked.

" I think there's something in the water."

And that's when I heard it, a loud shrill cry. The cry of something I've never heard in a long time. It's the cry of a mermaid.

I ran to the side of the boat and there she was, looking up at me. 

Most people think mermaids are these beautiful creatures with long way hair and beautiful eyes or whatever. But actually, they are very ugly things.

Her hair is grey and mattered with seaweed. Her skin is like a light blue/ green and dotted with black dots down her arms. Her gills are prominent against her face just under her ears. And her eyes, her eyes are bright yellow and have slitted pupils.

" What the hell is that?" Ava gasped.

" A mermaid." I whispered.

" They're real." Ava gasped.

" Of course they are." I chuckled.

The mermaid glared at me before letting out another shrill cry that nearly made all our ears bleed. She hissed at me then dive back under the water, never returning to the surface.

" Are they always like that?" Ava asked as we watched the mermaid swim away. The force of her tail caused the water around her to turn into some sort of cacoon. 

" Only to witches and werewolves." I whispered.

" Why?" She asked.

I looked around at all the sailors. Once again they are looking at me and whispering to each other.

Maybe I'll need to do a memory-erasing spell as well?

" Let's talk about this in our room."

Holding Ava's hand we went down to our room. Like all the other rooms it's a very simple room with one double bed and a place to put our clothes in.

We sat down on the bed and I took a deep breath.

" Many years ago mermaids lived on the land and would venture into the water to shift on the full moon. Like werewolves shift on the full moon. Actually, mermaids and werewolves were great friends. But something changed and mermaids wanted to kill witches. The witches managed to turn the werewolves against the mermaids and we defeated the mermaids. We cursed them to live in the ocean forever as horrid creatures and we rewarded the werewolves by allowing them to shift whenever they want to. So now mermaids hate werewolves and witches." I explained.

" That's why she hissed at you." Ava sighed.

" Yeah, she knows what I am and due to her stunt, I think everyone else might as well. I'll need to erase their memories of us when we reach Kazan." I sighed leaning back against the mattress.

" It's what we have to do." Ava sighed leaning down against me.

" Yeah, you're right."