Chapter 23: The Hunt

The coven roared with applause at the announcement, but I could tell they knew about it all along. Veronica and my mam looked beyond pleased. It was probably them who arranged this in the first place. Naomi turned to me in shock. But she also looks like she is in pain.

" You can't do this!" I yelled making everyone stop clapping.

They turned to me in horror, they are shocked that I was going up against Lizzie's order. Naomi on the other hand looked at me like I was her hero.

" Well on the contrary Tobias," Lizzie spat my name like poison as she stepped closer to me," you and Naomi will be married and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Earlier today we prayed to Beelzebub asking for guidance and he excepted the plan."

My heart sank with her words. This is official. Naomi and I will marry. Unless I do something about it.

" What if we refuse the marriage?" Naomi asked.

I crossed my arms and looked up at Lizzie. Her cold eyes glared at Naomi. If looks could kill Naomi would be six feet under right now.

" You will be stripped of your powers and kicked out of the coven." Lizzie hissed. Large droplets of spit flew from her clenched jaw and onto my face.

" This is ridiculous," Naomi growled.

She grabbed her leather jacket off the floor, slung it over her shoulder, and stormed away. I stood in silence as I watched her run out of the arena and into the dark passageway disappearing from view.

" Take some time to prepare yourself. In exactly half an hour the blood moon will rise and our hunt will begin."

Lizzie stepped away from her throne and went off with her sister. Probably to sharpen their knives.

My aunt and mam walked up to me. My aunt has a large beaming smile on her face while my mam has the same expression as ever.

" Con-" my aunt started going on for a hug.

" How could you do this to me!" I yelled shoving my aunt back while pointing at my mam.

" Tobias." My aunt gasped.

" No don't fucking Tobias me. What have her the right to pawn me off like that!"

" I did it for the coven!" My mam yelled her anger mildly shaking the building causing everyone to turn their heads to us.

" Bullshit!"

" Don't talk to me like that!"

" I'd rather not talk to you at all." I snapped.

I spun around and ran out of the arena. Everyone's eyes burned into me as I ran but I couldn't care.

Aimlessly walking around the temple my mind was swarmed with Ava. I was still worried that the spell would wear off early and she would be killed in the hunt. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get her out of her arranged marriage before it was too late. And I'm thinking about how I'm going to tell her that I'm getting married as well.

The echoing sound of sobbing stopped me in my tracks.

Walking on the balls of my feet I followed the sound of the sobs to a small abandoned room at the end of the passage.

Gently and quietly pushing the door open I peeked inside, my eyes widening in shock at the sight of Naomi crawled up on the floor sobbing.

My whole life Naomi has been a rock. She's tougher than anyone I've ever met, except for me of course. Nothing and I repeat nothing has ever made her cry.