Chapter 16

It was already in the middle of my shift. Brian and everybody at the department gave me ooo's on my new haircut. They all said I look better with it, and I totally agree.

"So did you ever meet up with that one girl we pulled over?" Brian wiggles his eyebrows, looking up from the computer.

"And why would that concern you if I did?" I laughed.
"Man, I'm just asking. Hopefully she's not like your last girl. Because you were acting all grim and everything for like months straight." Brian rambled on.
I just chuckled and shook my head, "she's nothing like that. We're not even a thing. We're just friends." I explained.

It was true, we weren't anything more than friends.
"Aw come on man, why?" He took a sip of his water.
"Because she's been through a lot of shit, and a relationship isn't what she needs right now, she needs a friend. I'm willing to just be a friend for her." I shrugged.
"Respectable." He at first said, then he looked at me with a more sincere look.

"You like her a lot don't you."
I kinda just glanced at him then looked back at the road, "Is it that obvious?"

"A person that is willing to hold off on trying to pursue something with the person they like, because of that person's needs. You like her a lot Riley. And plus, it's written all over your face. For once today you actually glowed coming into work. You didn't look like you hated life. No disrespect." He laughed at the last part.

"You know Brian, I never took you to be the kind of guy that I can actually talk to about this." I said.
"Me? The best friend you can ever have." He laughed, I just laughed along with him.
"But nah man, Riley I'm happy for you." He patted my shoulder, then went back to the computer.
"Thanks man." I responded.

Then we received a call, breaking up this little sentimental moment we had.
"Officers Lewis and Bellanti we've got a robbery in progress on 2316 West Beverly Street. Weapon is being used. Suspected a male wearing black pants, black hoodie, and black ski mask."
(I just made this up LMAO I hope it's not an actual address)

Beverly Street.
That's the next street over from Ariana's. My heart instantly dropped, and it was like my adrenaline kicked in.

"We are on our way." I said to the dispatcher.
"Well shit." Brian said.

I stepped on the gas and put on the lights and sirens. I had to get there quick, to make sure no one is hurt. I know Ariana isn't at home though, she's at the studio. So at least she's not at harms way.

But somebody's life was.

I managed to get there in a few minutes. Two other cop cars were there as well. We parked and got out our cars. Then we saw the front door open, we all used our car doors as cover and aimed our guns.

Then we saw three men with heavy weapons and start shooting at us. They were all wearing black and had on black duffel bags.
I couldn't see their faces because of the ski mask.

"Get into cover!" I yelled.

I felt my heart racing, everything was moving in slow motion for me.
I tried aiming for parts that weren't vital organs because at the end of the day, I don't want to kill anyone.

All I heard were gun shots and yelling, and more sirens.

Then I felt, what seemed to be like a bee sting on my shoulder. But I kept shooting, aiming at the arms or shoulders or legs.