Chapter 17

Ariana left the hospital room to go tell everyone I was awake.

I wanted to get up, like actually stand up and walk. So I lifted myself up with my good arm, but somehow my whole body was sore.

How is that possible if it was just my shoulder? Don't make sense.

I tried it again, but then the door opened, I was expecting it to be Ariana, but it was the Doctor.

"Oh no Riley don't do that, you're gonna hurt yourself." She rushed to my side.

The door opened again, we both looked over and it was really everyone. The chief was there, so was Brian and some other coworkers like Isaac, Asher, and Naomi. All of Ariana's friends were there too, which was cool.

It meant a lot that they cared.

They all cared enough to be here for me.

"You're a miracle." The doctor said, bringing me back to reality.
"Huh?" I had a confused expression.
"We lost you for a few seconds, but you fought and came back." She smiled at me.

I really died for a few seconds. That's crazy.

I was just sitting there in shock, but I regained myself, once I was listening to the doctor again, talk about the procedure.

"We successfully took out the bullet, luckily it didn't hit a cluster of nerves. But it did hit an artery which is why you lost so much blood. It should overall take some few weeks to heal, I wouldn't suggest going into work for another few weeks." She finished.

"Thank you." Was all I could say after all that.

She just kindly smiled again, "Alright, I have to go, but don't try and get up yet...at least not on your own." She said.
I just nodded my head so she knew I understood. Then the doctor left.

I looked over and saw everybody.
"Thank you guys, for being here." I smiled. There were a lot of "we got you" in response.

Then Brian came up to me first, he looked concern yet relieved. It was a look I've never seen from him. Usually he's so... not so serious.

"I thought I lost you man." Brian engulfed me into a hug.
"You're not going to get rid of me that easy." I laughed which made him laugh.

Then I kept wondering if the three men that we were shooting at were dead. I didn't want them to be. They were still somebody's son, and a parent would be childless, or a sibling would be brother less, maybe they were even fathers.

I looked at him after we pulled away, "did the men survive?" I asked.
Brian gave me a puzzled look, "They all survived, they're just in the hospital, waiting until we can take them into custody." He replied.

I just nodded my head.

Then a thought popped up in my head. Kobe.
"Can you feed and walk Kobe for me." I asked.
Brian laughed and nodded yes. I showed him where my keys would be, so he grabbed them.

"Alright man. I'll let other people talk to you." He chuckled, patting my good shoulder.

The chief came first, he greeted me and told me how brave I was. He also said I couldn't work for 3 weeks minimum, and that I'll get paid sick leave. His conversation was brief because he had to go back to work.