Diverging Paths

Hoth: 21 BBY
Republic Cruiser "Remembrance"
Irel Kirsi

    R3 chirped as he finished downloading all of the files Master Windu had sent them. Irel unplugged him from the datapad and patted his familiar orange dome. "Take care, buddy." She glanced to where Axe and Veres were preparing a stolen Separatist shuttle. "Take care of them, too." R3 beeped a reply.

    Irel straightened as Axe made his way over to them. R3 rolled away towards the shuttle and Veres followed him on board, carrying something. "I think we've got everything," Axe said once he reached her.

    "R3 has all of the files from Master Windu so you won't have to worry about that," she replied. "And Gizer seemed willing enough about standing in for you temporarily."

    "What about you? Will you be all right?"

    Irel started slightly. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

    "I don't know. You just seem nervous, that's all." He motioned to her slightly trembling hands.

    Irel clasped them together self consciously. "I'll be fine." Her thoughts trembled at the lie. No, I won't be fine. How am I going to lead an army by myself? What if I make some terrible mistake that gets us all killed? What if...she tried to shake the thoughts away. Cut it out. At least I don't have to break into the heart of Separatist space and sneak in and out of a prison.

    "General?"

    "Hm?" Irel started, realizing she had lost herself in her thoughts again.

    "You've done great so far." Axe placed a hand on her shoulder. "You'll be fine."

    Irel sighed. "It's not me I'm worried about. If I mess up, there are others here to help me fix it. If you mess up, I can't guarantee we'll even know about it and be able to help you." She looked down and rubbed her forehead.

    Axe hooked a finger under her chin and lifted her gaze to his. "Veres and I will be fine. We know what we're doing and if something goes wrong, we can find a way out."

    Irel let out a heavy sigh. "That doesn't make me feel much better."

    Axe chuckled a bit. "Me neither. I promise, we'll be careful."

    She shook her head but let a smile slide across her lips. "I'll hold you to that promise." She knew the smile hadn't reached her eyes.

    Veres banged on the side of the shuttle and Axe quickly stepped away from Irel. Veres waved to her as they disappeared inside and closed the ramp. She wrapped her arms around herself tightly as they took off. "May the Force be with you," she murmured, before turning back.

    Gizer was waiting near the lift when she approached. "There you are. Admiral Westley has been searching for you."

    "Let's go, then." She stepped into the lift behind Gizer.

    The admiral glanced up as the lift opened to the bridge. "Ah, General Kirsi, have the commander and CT-1375 departed?"

"Yes, Admiral. Their ship left the hangar just a few moments ago. We should get underway to Felucia. We've got a job to do."

Admiral Westley turned to the officers. "Prepare to jump to lightspeed," he ordered.

"Coordinates locked, Sir," the navigator replied.

"Make the jump."

Irel turned to the large viewport as the stars blurred around them. They shot into a blue expanse of hyperspace. Already, Irel's heart was racing, but she tried to calm herself. Panicking wouldn't help. She turned back to the admiral.