Fleeting Trials

Kashyyyk: 19 BBY
Kachirho Beach
Irel Kirsi

Captain Womatka and Irel wasted no time in finding Patch. Soon, they were making their way through the forest, the beach growing distant behind them. Irel tried not to let her growing fatigue show as they trekked on.

    The occasional rumble could be heard from the beach, proof that the battle was still on going. At last, they reached the Wookiee outpost, where several warriors waited. The structure was similar to the huts on Junalli, Irel couldn't help but notice.

    Captain Womatka led her over to a towering Wookiee Chieftain and introduced her. The chieftain and general barked a welcome. "It's nice to meet you, General Tarfful," Irel replied. "We'll give you all the help we can until more Republic troops arrive."

    Tarfful nodded and switched on the large holotable beside them. Another Wookiee appeared beside Tarfful. Irel gave him a curious glance, but said nothing as Tarfful motioned to several of the Separatist forces.

    "Divide and conquer?" Irel raised a hand to her chin. "That might work but we'd have to draw the droids in in waves and there's always a chance they could double back on us."

    The Wookiee next to Tarfful quickly input some new data and motioned to the simulation. A few red and blue dots appeared. The blue dots moved into the forest, followed by the red dots. Another wave of red and blue dots appeared, and another.

    "That might actually work," Patch said beside her.

    "What did you say your name was?" Irel asked the Wookiee. He barked a reply. "Chewbacca, hm? All right. Your plan might be our best bet to take care of the droids that are down here. If we can come up with a plan for air support, we'll have our strategy ready."

    "What if we put guys with rocket launchers up in the trees?" Patch suggested. "They'd be able to take out tanks, walkers, ships, basically anything that came within range."

    "That will work until we run out of rockets."

    "Then use the Wookiee bowcasters. I've heard those things pack a punch," Patch glanced at the one Womatka carried. The three Wookiees glanced at each other and nodded.

    "Coordinate your attacks. We'll get back to the beach and get word to our men. We'll send them your way," The Wookiees roared their approval and Womatka led them back into the forest.

    Irel's head swam as the wooden lift lowered them back to the forest floor. Now is really not the time, she sighed to herself. She glanced towards the large complex near the beach. "We should try to make that our command center," Irel said to Womatka. "It's easier for us to reach and it will keep the troops away from the villages."

    Womatka nodded in agreement and activated his comm, relaying the idea. Explosions echoed from the beach as they approached. Irel spotted Axe and Veres pinned down behind several storage crates. Bodies of Wookiees, clones, and droids alike all littered the beach. Womatka let out a fierce cry and charged into the battle, his bowcaster rifle finding its marks. Irel activated her lightsaber and deflected shots as Patch fired over her shoulder.

    They pushed their way forward, sprawling in the sand beside Axe and Veres. Veres had lost his helmet somewhere and several new patches of carbon scoring lined their armor. "I'm glad to see you, General," Veres panted. "I haven't seen anything this brutal since Geonosis."

    "Let's get these tinnies on the run," Irel replied. "We have a plan."

    They nodded and leaned back over the crate, firing. Irel jumped up on top of the crate, whipping her lightsaber back and forth, giving them cover. Droid after droid fell, and yet more kept coming. Veres tossed a droid popper into the midst and took down a cluster of them.