Small Victories

Geonosis: 20 BBY
Stalgasin Hive
Commander Axe

    Axe braced himself as the walker shuddered again. The droids were attempting to circle around the walkers. "Open fire and hold your position no matter what!" He ordered. "This area has to stay secure until General Tiin arrives!" The walker groaned as it locked its feet in position.

    The incoming droid tanks opened fire but they were far enough away that the shots didn't carry much damage. He flicked his scanner down and leaned forward. Beyond the tanks, Ventress and Count Dooku stood. They turned out of sight. Axe flicked the scanner up again.

    "Sir," a clone monitoring the screens called. "We're receiving a transmission."

    "From General Krell or General Tiin?" He asked hopefully.

    The clone, Elvis, shook his head. "From Count Dooku." The droids outside stopped their advance. The dust began to settle and he could make out the number of droids there. They were vastly outnumbered.

    "Accept it," Axe ordered. He removed his helmet and headed over to the transmitter.

    A hologram of the Count and his assassin appeared. "Greetings, Clone. I trust you are aware of who I am," the Count said. "Please, introduce yourself."

    "Commander Axe," he replied, crossing his arms.

    "Well, Commander, is your Jedi general close by? I've been interested in meeting her for some time now."

    "No, she's not, thanks to your assassin. You'll have to make do with our stand in."

    "That's a pity. I was hoping to sort things out with General Kirsi. She seemed...understanding enough."

    Axe let himself smirk a bit. He had heard about Irel driving a light cruiser into Dooku's dreadnought. "Sorry to disappoint."

    "Well, seeing as your generals are not here, I will have to negotiate with you, Commander. As you can see, we have your forces severely outnumbered. If you will surrender to me, I will let those of you inside the walkers live."

    "Sir," Elvis whispered. "The scanners have picked up several Republic gunships entering the atmosphere."

    Axe nodded subtly, thinking up a way to buy the gunships some time. "Your offer is good, but why should I accept it?"

    "I'm sure you are a smart man. You should know that you have no chance of surviving otherwise. Your group of reinforcements are already being detained."

    He doesn't know about the gunships yet! Axe kept his expression neutral, listening to the Count prattle on. "What assurance can you give me that your word will be kept?"

    "Only a promise and nothing more."

    Axe stroked his chin. "I get the feeling that you've offered something similar to General Kirsi. My answer is the same as hers. The Republic will never submit to you."

The gunships soared past, firing on the droids and tanks. Axe gave the order and the walkers opened fire again. Elvis switched off the transmitter and Count Dooku disappeared. Back in the drop zone, gunships were swooping down and dropping off clones.

"Let's get out there and help them, boys!" Rigger shouted. The back hatch of the walker lifted and they piled out, blasters ready. General Tiin had already hit the ground and was charging into the fray.

    "Commander Axe!" He shouted, lightsaber flashing as he deflected blaster bolts. "Let's start the advance!"

    "Right away, General! Let's move!" Axe shouted. He flanked General Tiin as the troops began to move forward. Several walkers advanced as well, while the others held the back line.