Dark Illusions

Serenno: 21 BBY
Northside Penitentiary
Commander Axe

The last of the guards stepped into the lift as the shift change ended. Axe and Veres filed in behind them as a platoon of droids marched into the detention level. Axe glanced at Veres. Any minute now, R3 would be enacting his part of the mission. Axe's stomach was a mass of twisted nerves but he managed to conceal it.

The lift stopped at the hangar level and the guards filed out. "See you tomorrow."

"Hey, want to hang out tonight? Vanessa isn't home."

"Sure, I don't have any plans. Cheina is gone too."

"Be on time tomorrow!"

The guard's numerous voices faded as they hopped into their speeders and took off. Axe and Veres ducked behind a few storage crates. Axe quickly scanned the area for security holograms, but there were none. Outside of the hangar, Serenno's twin moons were already in full view.

"What is taking that droid so long?" Veres muttered.

"He has to wait until all of the guards have cleared out."

The lift opened again and more guards filed out. There were only a few speeders left in the hangar. "I guess you were right. This place does get overrun by droids at night," Veres replied. Their shuttle was still in the hangar, thankfully.

The lift opened once more and the last of the guards filed out. Their speeders quickly abandoned the hangar, and Axe and Veres were left alone. They ducked into the lift as soon as the others had left. They headed back down to the third detention level.

Alarms began blaring suddenly and the facility comms switched on. "Attention all units, we have a report of a cell break in the first detention level," a droid called. "All droids, report to the disturbance and apprehend the prisoner."

"Stupid droids. They take all of their units to one location," Veres scoffed.

Axe shrugged. "That's R3's work. At least it gets us easy access."

"Elevator 87394 has been closed temporarily," the droid said again.

"Is that our lift?" Veres asked, slightly confused.

"It better be or this operation is blown before it begins."

The lift halted and they cautiously opened the door. The detention level was abandoned. They sprinted down the hall and began to examine the cells. "Now which one is she in?" Axe murmured to himself. His comm switched on and he activated it quickly. "R3?" The droid whistled a few things and switched the comm back off. "I hope he remembers to delete that transmission," Axe growled. "R3 says she's in cell 2593."

    Veres quickly located the cell and they ran towards it. Axe slid a stolen keycard into the card reader. The lock switched to green and slid open. A young and pretty red haired girl glanced up at them. Panic filled her eyes and she huddled back on her cot.

Axe removed his helmet quickly. "Are you Meiju Hasco?"

She looked at him warily. "Yes, who are you?"

"I'm Commander Axe. We're here to rescue you." He replaced the guard helmet.

Meiju stood suspiciously. "You're with the Republic?"

"Yes, now come on. We have to go," Veres hissed.

"Come on. It won't be long before the droids realize that was a false alarm." Axe grabbed Meiju's arm and pulled her along behind them. She slipped into the lift in between them.