Miracle

Junalli: 19 BBY
Zunja Territory
Commander Axe

    Miejuel held the gourd vial over Irel's mouth, pouring the saliva down her throat. Axe grimaced and beside him, Ziyah tried not to gag. At last, Miejuel stepped back. "All right. The saliva will start to counteract the poison, but we must get her to your meditation spot, Saji."

    "Why does she have to go there?" Ziyah asked.

    "My meditation area is strong with the Living Force. It will help heal her," Saji replied. "Axe, I'll need your help again."

    "I'm coming too!" Ziyah exclaimed.

    Saji shook her head. "You can't. My meditation spot is hard to reach and it will be dangerous to get there."

    "Why?" Ziyah raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms.

    "Because its underwater." Saji smirked a bit. "Right above a Pteulj cave."

    Ziyah's eyes widened. Axe glanced at her sympathetically. "Saji is right. You need to stay here," he said.

    "I could order you to take me with."

    Axe raised his eyebrows. "While you are here, young one," Miejuel interrupted, "you must obey our rules and judgements. If you are told no, then that is your answer." She placed a hand on Ziyah's shoulder. "Don't worry. You are needed here anyway."

The other healers stepped back as Axe gently lifted Irel. "We'll take a voel," Saji said, leading the way to the nests.

The rain had lessened slightly, but was still thudding down. Not many people were outside as they made their way past. Saji climbed onto a saddled voel and took Irel as Axe climbed on behind them.

Saji urged the large animal into flight. Axe held Irel steady, glancing down at her. The black spidering on her skin had worsened. He hoped the saliva would begin to work quickly. The voel landed beside the shoreline, or where it had once been, anyway. The water had spilled over. Axe spied a few Pteulj further down the coastline.

Saji fitted a breather into Irel's mouth and tossed him one as well. Axe situated his. Saji wrapped one arm around Irel as Axe did the same on her other side. They waded into the warm water and dove. Deeper and deeper they went. Saji motioned with her free hand towards a cluster of caves. Axe's eyes widened, spying the dozens of Pteulj that moved among them.

A few of the younger ones were fighting over a dead wrok that had been dragged into the water. They skirted past the Pteulj quietly. Saji angled them towards a particular cave. They swam through the hole into the darkness. As they swam overhead, several sleeping Pteulj shifted. Axe put on another burst of speed as a beady eye opened beneath him.

Saji motioned up to a hole in the roof of the cave. They burst through the opening into a air filled pocket. Saji climbed out and pulled Irel onto the rock floor. Axe climbed out behind them, amazed as tiny blue rocks filled the cave with a faint glow. Saji situated Irel flat on the ground and passed a hand over her.

    "Now what?" Axe asked as Saji stepped back.

    "We go back to the village."

    "Wait, and leave her here alone?"

    "She'll be unconscious for the most part," Saji replied.

    "But she will wake up at some point?" Saji nodded. "I don't want her waking up here alone."

    "You're welcome to stay, if you like. I have to get back, but I'll return tomorrow morning." Saji stood and headed towards the water filled pool. "You can drink the water here. It's freshwater and the moss is edible."