Reckless Break

Outer Rim Hyperlane
Shuttle RST-156
Commander Axe

Irel switched off the transmitter in the back of the shuttle, after delivering their report to the Jedi Council. She had left out mention of the Zunja Tribe, instead, saying that they had found ruins of a civilization, but no people. Axe turned back to the front of the shuttle, where Rigger and Veres were.

Patch was in the back, checking through his medical supplies and restocking what he could. Axe got the feeling they'd be flying right into a hot zone. Axe slid into a seat behind Veres. Rigger turned to him.

"You'll both be pleased to know that I finished painting the gunships in the Remembrance and everyone else did it to theirs too," Rigger said with a grin. He furrowed his brow. "Of course, the Remembrance did blow up right when I finished."

"So that's why you're on the Tranquility, then?" Axe asked. Rigger nodded in reply.

"Those Seppies sure aren't making it easy for us. Geonosis is going to be a hard fight," he said.

    "The second battle was hard too. Don't you remember the reports from General Kenobi?" Veres added.

    "I hope you boys didn't get lazy while you were gone," Rigger said. "By the way, did you see Clutter on Kamino?" He looked to Axe hopefully.

    Veres glanced at Axe then stood. He quietly went back to help Irel and Patch. Rigger watched him go, confused. Axe sighed. "Yes, we saw Clutter. He...uh...you heard about the bombing, right?"

    Rigger nodded. "Everyone heard about it. Someone said clones were responsible. Is it true?"

    "Yes, and it was Clutter who organized the attack." Rigger's eyes widened in shock, but he didn't say anything. "He got a squad to plant the bombs for him. He bribed them by giving them access to the training simulations after curfew and extra tutoring. Clutter set off the bombs. I think he had planned to die in the explosion, but the general and I rescued him."

    "But...why? Why would Clutter do something like that?" Rigger let his head fall into his hands. "What are they going to do with him?"

    "Nothing. He's dead. He jumped off a landing platform," Axe replied. A wince of pain flashed across Rigger's face. "He said he did it to save them from becoming slaves to the Republic. I...there's a security hologram, if you want to hear what he said." Rigger gritted his teeth and nodded. Axe slid the chip out of his belt and plugged it into the comm system. The hologram appeared instantly.

Rigger watched silently. The hologram paused right when Axe reached the edge of the platform. Axe took the chip out and returned it to his belt. "So it really is just us now," he said at last. A beeping sounded throughout the shuttle. The pained expression disappeared from Rigger's face as he checked the scanners. "We're coming up on Geonosis. Brace for incoming fire."

Veres and Patch instantly jumped into the gunner positions. Irel strapped herself into a seat behind Rigger as they dropped out of hyperspace. The Separatist blockade was locked in battle with the fleet. They skirted around the battlefield, taking out a few vulture droids as they went. The Tranquility appeared up ahead. They docked in the overhead hangar, carefully staying out of the way of oncoming fighters.

Axe followed Irel as she sprinted off the shuttle and towards the command center. Patch was already heading towards the medical bay. Rigger and Veres followed Axe. They jumped into a lift and soon arrived on the bridge. A blast rocked the ship as they stepped out of the lift.

"Admiral, what's our status?" Irel called.

"General, am I glad to see you. We could use your creativity right about now. I'm afraid our cruisers are suffering heavy fire and the fighters are being overwhelmed," Admiral Westley reported. Irel braced herself against a holotable as the ship rocked again.