New Developments

Geonosis: 20 BBY
Stalgasin Hive
Commander Axe

    Rigger tossed Axe his newly painted helmet. Axe caught it and tucked it beneath his arm. Within a few moments, the general's shuttle touched down and opened. A tall Besalisk male stepped off the ship and wrinkled his brow. Two of his four hands were clasped behind his back.

    The troops around him straightened immediately and saluted him. General Krell ignored them and headed over to Axe at the command center. "CT-1190, Commander Axe, correct?" General Krell asked, his eyes falling on Axe's shoulder pad.

    "Yes, Sir," Axe replied. "This is ARC Trooper Veres, and over there are Rigger, and Gizer."

"Hm. I'm sure you already know our objective, Commander." General Krell switched on the holotable and pulled up the hive schematics. "Taking this hive will not be easy, especially with Ventress and Count Dooku on sight. I have been working on a plan for taking the hive."

    Axe spied the incredulous look that Rigger and Veres swapped. He subtly kicked Rigger beneath the holotable. The general adjusted the schematics before continuing on. "General Saesee Tiin and his troops will be arriving to help us as soon as they can. We must take the hive as quickly as possible and we don't have time to go around this ridge," General Krell pointed at the large ridge that the hive sat on. "We will press the attack to the ridge wall and then climb the ridge with the walkers. Once we get on top, we will secure the hive with the help of General Tiin's group."

"Sir, scaling the ridge is going to leave us open for attack from above and I'm not sure that ground is stable enough for the walkers to climb up," Veres pointed out.

General Krell tightened his grip on the edge of the holotable. "Those are just going to be risks that we have to take. Prepare the troops. We leave immediately." Krell walked away without another word.

    "Well, so far so good, minus the terrible plan that is going to get us killed," Rigger muttered.

    "Do you have a better plan?" Gizer prompted.

    "No, but even if I did, it wouldn't matter." Rigger and Gizer continued to argue back and forth. Veres jerked his blonde head and Axe followed him.

    "There's got to be a better way," Veres said. "Krell is putting us in the open and in a vulnerable position."

    "The only thing I can think of is going around the ridge to the slope but Krell wants to come up right beside the hive," Axe replied. "So we're there when General Tiin arrives."

    "Right, but what's the rush if he's not here yet? We should bide what time we have and come up with a better plan. The droids aren't going anywhere fast."

    "Then you'd better work with Rigger on coming up with a plan. I'll try to convince the general to wait a bit," Axe replied. Veres nodded and headed back to the holotable. Axe quickly approached General Krell. "Sir, I don't think it's wise to move out just yet. The medics haven't returned and we're supposed to be getting some additional troops."

    "I am aware of this, Commander." General Krell continued with what he was doing, not bothering to face him. "My order still stands. I want us attacking that hive by nightfall."

    "Sir, I don't think..."

    General Krell turned, a cool calmness in his gaze. "Commander, you have been given your orders."

    Axe clenched his fist and turned away, without even acknowledging the general. Veres, Rigger, and Gizer looked up as he approached. "Any luck?" Gizer asked.