1

Weddings have never been my forte. I wouldn't be going to this one if it wasn't for my best friend, Griffin.

His cousin is getting married in New Orleans, which is eight hundred miles from Wichita. The thing about his family is that they're super religious.

Especially his aunt and uncle. With that being said, his aunt and uncle don't know he's gay.

Don't get me wrong, he want's to tell them, he just doesn't know how they'll react. They're the only people in his family that doesn't know yet.

That's why I'm going with him, to be his date. Plus, his family loves me so I was invited. Griffin and I are leaving tomorrow morning.

I was finishing my packing when my little sister walked into my room. I still live with my mom, but it doesn't bother me.

I help take care of my fourteen year old sister knowing my mom works at the hospital a lot.

My dad left us a right after my little sister was born, I guess he couldn't handle it.

It doesn't bother me as bad as it used to. We're better off without him. "It's gonna be boring without you here." She plopped down onto my bed.

"It's just gonna be for a couple of days." I tell her as I fold a dress. "I know but still. Mom works a lot." She pouted towards me.

"Hey, she does it for us." I remind her. "Plus, if you get too scared, you can go over to Mia's house." Mia is our neighbor whose the same age as Parker.

She sighed as she laid back on my bed. "What's up, bitches." Griffin said walking in. I give him a look as he sits his stuff down.

"Syd, she's fourteen, not four. She's probably heard the word bitch before." He sat down at my office chair and started eating gummies.

I just rolled my eyes as I finished packing. "What time are you two leaving tomorrow?" Parker asked while changing the subject.

"Around the time mom will be home." She usually works second shift at the hospital, but she took a double tonight.

"Now, let's watch a movie." We all cuddled up and watched Netflix. After the movie, Griffin and I had to get some rest.

The flight was almost two hours so it wasn't long. My alarm went off around six thirty causing Griffin to groan.

We slowly got up, and walked downstairs to my mom walking in, with scrubs on. "You guys about to leave?" She asked sitting her keys down.

"Yeah, we have that lunch introduction today so we gotta make sure we're there on time." I remind her as she nods her head.

"You guys want a ride to the airport?" She yawned. "Don't worry about it. We have an uber on the way." I lightly smile at her.

When the uber gets here we tell them bye and leave. Once actually on the plane, we get settled into our seats.

I plug my earbuds in and fall asleep. It didn't even feel like I was asleep for a long amount of time. "Sydney, wake up." Griffin shook me awake.

We met up with Griffin's brother, Grant, at the airport in New Orleans. "Sydney, Griffin!" I heard from our right. I've always loved Grant.

Him and Griffin resembled each other a lot. Grant and I didn't really talk much, but I've basically known him my whole life.

He's always done his own thing while Griffin did his own thing. "Hey, glad you guys are here. Most of everyone is in the hotel already." Grant told us.

We just gotta unpack and then get ready for the lunch introduction. We get into the car and started driving.

"How've you been, Sydney?" Grant asked, looking at me through the mirror. "Good, just taking care of Parker. You?" I asked looking out the window.

"I've been good." There was a pause after that. "You still with Payton?" I ask about his long term girlfriend.

He nodded his head as he turned into the hotel. We grab our bags and walk in. We check in and head to our room.

"What are we supposed to wear to this lunch introduction?" I ask looking into my bag. "Look cute and not like a fucking bum." Griffin joked.

I throw a pillow at him as I laugh at him. "You're a dick sometimes." I laugh at him. "I am what I eat." He shrugged.

"The thing doesn't even start until another hour and a half." He groaned as he laid on the bed. "Yeah, well I'm gonna shower." I stand up and head to the shower.

I wash everything I need to and step out of it. I blow dry my hair and straightened it. I put on a floral dress with a jean jacket over it.

I walk out of the bathroom so I could put my make up on. Griffin was going through his bag so he could find an outfit.

"Looking cute, Syd." Griffin winked as he put a white shirt on. I smile over at him as I put my make up on.

It took us a little bit to get ready but when we got done, it was time to leave. "Where's it even at?" I ask as we get into the elevator.

"It's some outdoor venue in the back." He told me. Once to the lobby, we walked towards the back and found everyone.

There seemed to be a lot of people here. "Hey, guys. I'm so happy you made it." Griffin's cousin, Zoey, smiled when we walked over to her.

Griffin hugged her first, then it was my turn. "I'm so happy for you." I smile as I hug her. "Thank you, I hope you enjoy it." She told us.

We started walking away and looking around. "This is my family and I barely recognize anyone." Griffin sighed.

"Don't worry, you got me." I smile while wrapping my arm around him. I can tell he was nervous about seeing his aunt and uncle.

As I looked around, I made eye contact with a random stranger.

An attractive stranger.