Chapter Twenty Three: She's Livid

Y/n was angry.

The crashed rental? That kinda sucked for someone who hasn't drove in a while.

The failed attempts on getting new information? Definitely, but not quite.

The fact that her identity and whereabouts were leaked somehow despite all the attempts of trying to conceal it? It was frustrating, but not enough to tick her off.

Helplessness was like an allergy to her; she gets it often and hates it.

She was angry that she couldn't do anything the way she wanted it to.

Coughing out the dirt and debris from her lungs, Y/n swats at the incoming particles from the damaged car. She was tired—it was 1am in the morning for goodness sake!-and she had lost her only transportation, broken a few bones, and her ability didn't seem to be working the way she wanted to. The dart didn't puncture her entirely, but it seemed to weaken her ability in some sorts as was shown with the woman from earlier. She couldn't call for help since the burner phone got completely smashed and she was too fatigued to move out of the car.

How to get out of a situation like this? Well, for starters, it's best to take a few moments of recollecting before cursing the names of your enemies and using vengeance as your fuel to destroy every last bit left of them.

"T-They were talking 'bout Sera," she mutters as she unlocks the door and swings it open, allowing the fresh air to clean out the insides, "and that means I have to get there... quick." She rolls out of the car, and unto the dirt pavement, letting out a sigh. "Thank goodness only one of my legs are messed up compared to the other, or I'd cry."

No time for stalling. Not only this car would probably blow up any second now due to the damage, they would probably come back or they would have already sent someone to clean up this mess. I also gotta get to Sera to warn her and get Elaine to fix me up...

But in this state, can I really do it?

Her vision finally focuses on her surroundings, and notices the familiar appearance of the nearby buildings. "Lucky for me..." she smirks. "Looks like I'm nearby my house."

Her eyes trailed to her surroundings. "And unluckily for me... seems there are witnesses," as the lights in the neighborhood began to light up one by one. Once she gets patched up, she's gonna have a lot more work to do with her unfortunate friends that heard that loud ass crash.

"Good freaking grief."

It was dark and past midnight.

You should be sleeping at this time.

But sadly, Arlo jolts awake from his slumber from a loud resonating shriek and crash from wherever that was inside the area of John's home. A tired mind would've probably wondered, "what the hell was that?" Before going back to dream land, but seeing how Y/n wasn't back yet and that there were lights outside the house, Arlo wasn't going to take any chances. He lets out a sigh, groggily rubbing his face, before turning to the sleeping girl nearby him. "Elaine," his voice still tired and slightly raspy, "wake up. Something is wrong."

She didn't seem to hear him the first time. Arlo gives her a hard nudge. She opens her eyes.

"A-Arlo...?"

"Y/n's not back. She would've texted me something if she was going to stay overnight at another place, but I have no messages from her." He mutters as the bright light form his phone shines on his face, his thumb swiping through the screen. "There's something wrong. Didn't you hear that crash?"