02

Ginny

I can tell that Professor McGonagall is trying her hardest to return Hogwarts back to normal, but with twice as many first years, students are clearly getting bored as the Sorting Hat assigns the new wizards and witches to a house. It feels empty without Dumbledore's start of the year speech, Snape's harsh glares at the students who dare to look at him, and Colin's camera flashing non-stop.

It was the most awkward train ride after we all agreed to not talk, but I silently casted Silencio to ensure that it would be peaceful. Luckily, no one tried to talk anyway.

"Xander, Andrew," Professor McGonagall finishes.

A thin redhead nervously goes up to the stool, shaking visibly as the Sorting Hat is placed on his head.

"SLYTHERIN!" the hat shouts, and there's a heartless cheer from the Slytherin table.

"Now let us eat," McGonagall announces once Xander has seated himself. The poor boy looks scared out of his mind, it seems from where I'm sitting.

Food magically floats across the table then, and a loud chatter breaks out as students fill themselves with as much food as their stomachs can take.

I scan the Slytherin table, looking for the boy, Xander, and I find him sitting next to Malfoy, who's whispering in his ear. The boy oddly seems to be calm now, which is certainly not the reaction I would've expected if anyone ever talked to Malfoy.

Hermione

"Hermione!" Ginny hisses in my ear.

"What?" I ask, sipping my goblet of water.

"Look," she says, and nods her head at the Slytherin table. I shift my body a little to adjust my vision, trying to find what she's seeing.

"What am I looking at?"

"Malfoy."

I turn to her, giving her an are-you-okay look. "Why are we looking at Malfoy?"

"Because he's devastating hot," she replies sarcastically. "No, Hermione, look at what he's doing!"

I finally locate Malfoy at the Slytherin table, whispering privately to a young redheaded boy.

"And?" I ask, confused. "Ginny, he's just talking to that boy."

"What if he's plotting?"

"Plotting what, exactly? Ginny, please don't tell me that Harry actually asked you to keep an eye on him," I sigh. "People change, though his arrogance certainly hasn't."

"No!" she says hastily, and I raise an eyebrow. "I just noticed that the first year looked particularly nervous, and I saw Malfoy looking highly suspicious. And for your information, Ron asked me. Harry isn't that shallow."

I laugh, asking, "Did he really?"

"No, Hermione. But I do think that he's an idiot for not asking you out yet."

We've finally gotten to that subject. There was definitely something in that kiss, down in the Chamber of Secrets, but I don't think it's there anymore. I won't give up hope, though, not just yet. I shrug, and fill my mouth with food so I don't have to answer.

Suddenly, a note floats in front of me, and I snatch it out of the air. It says:

Ms. Hermione Granger,

Please come to my office after the feast immediately. Bring some Caramel Frogs.

Headmistress McGonagall