04

Draco

"Malfoy, I think we ought to just show them the common room, actually. They need to know about the contract," Granger tells me the next morning when she sees me walking down from my dorm into our common room.

"That's fine," I reply lightly. "Tonight?"

"Alright," she responds, and walks over to the portrait exit. "You coming?"

"You want to walk out with me?" I demand, incredulous. "What about the-"

"Malfoy," she says, and clearly she's trying not to sound annoyed. "You do realize that everyone will know that we're the Heads and notice that we're not living with the rest of our house, right? We don't have to say anything for people to figure it out."

She's right, I think, but instead I sigh and walk towards her silently.

-----

"You did not just say that, mate," Blaise says, shaking his head as we walk toward my common room after dinner. "You're pulling my leg."

"No, she really made us-"

Suddenly we run into Granger, who's also walking Weaslette. I presume that she's also come to see the inside.

"Cherry Kelp," Granger and I say in unison, and the portrait swings open silently.

"Why did you ask us to come?" Weaslette asks, and I open my mouth before Granger can turn around to answer her.

"We figured it'd be easier to show you rather than tell you," I say, and like Granger, she also looks surprised at my neutral tone. I decide to ignore it.

We step into the common room, and Zabini takes a quick look around.

"This is way nicer than our common room!" he complains.

"It looks about the same as Gryffindor common room," Weaslette says at the same time.

"From what I heard, Slytherin's common room is quite... murky," Granger smirks, and I shoot her a confused look.

"Where did you hear that?" I demand, turning sharply to Blaise.

"Don't look at me, mate," he says quickly, turning his palms up.

"That's a secret that'll die with me. Anyway," Granger says, changing the subject and walking over to where the contract hangs on the right of the fireplace. "This is what you should see. Just so you know."

We walk over to her, and Zabini and Weaslette stare at it silently.

"Alright, seems fair," Weaslette says finally.

"How long did it take you to write?" Zabini asks, amazed.

"About five minutes," Granger and I overlap.

"Alright, if that's all, Hermione, why don't you come with me back to the common room for a minute?" Weaslette asks.

"Alright," Granger replies, and waves to us as she walks out of the portrait behind her.

I nod back, and then turn to Blaise, who's still looking astounded.

"What?" I snap, and he walks over to the sofa, sitting on one of the arms.

"Only five minutes?" he asks.

"Is it surprising that we can both be diplomatic enough to form a mutual agreement?"

"Yes, mate. Before you know it, you'll be writing wedding vows," he sniggers, and I scowl.

"You're absolutely mad," I snap, sitting on the other end of the sofa.