12

Thursday, October 21st, 1999

Draco

I arrive a few minutes early at Professor McGonagall's classroom before Granger, pulling out my books onto the desks and taking out my wand.

Suddenly, an owl flies through the window and lands on the window sill.

I recognize the owl as Duke, who has a slip of parchment attached to his leg.

"A note?" I ask aloud, quickly walk over to the window.

I carefully take the note and pat Duke's head absentmindedly as I read the parchment.

Master Draco,

Echo is afraid to report to Master Draco that Mistress Black has been very strange. Mistress Black is barely eating and sits in the parlor and stares at the Daily Prophet blankly all day. Echo was not sure if Master Draco would want to know, but Master Draco told Echo to write to Master Draco if Echo thought Mistress Black was off and Echo was worried for Mistress Black.

~Echo

I can feel my heart pounding in my chest.

How long has this been going on?

I quickly walk back over to my desk and grab a quill to write back.

Apollo waits calmly, stretching his wings and shaking his head.

Echo,

Thank you for notifying me. Please make sure Mother eats enough and gets enough rest. I've attached a second letter to this note. Do not open it, just give it to Mother and tell her it's from me.

Sincerely,

Draco Malfoy

I set the note for Echo aside and start writing to Mother next.

Mother,

Are you alright? I'm starting to worry that you're not eating enough. I've asked Echo to make sure you get some sleep. Please don't argue with her. Write back to me, please. Echo can send the letter for you if you'd like.

Your son,

Draco

I seal the letter to Mother in an envelope and write our address on the outside, attaching the note to Echo with it. Then I walk over to where Duke has been resting when I'm at and tie the parchment to his leg.

"Alright, thanks Duke," I mutter, and he flies off.

I glance at my silver wristwatch.

6:59:50.

"I'm not late," a voice says behind me, and I turn from the window to see Granger.

"Technically true," I reply, and walk over to a desk.

"Were you sending something?" she asks curiously, and I catch a glimpse of Duke still flying around outside the castle.

"None of your business," I snap, sounding much harsher than I intended.

She sighs. "Alright then. Start with Transfiguration again?"

"Sure."