06

Hermione

Professor McGonagall called me to her office to talk near the end of dinner.

As I nervously approach what used to be Dumbledore's headmaster's office, I wonder what this could be about. I came back to finish my education, and even though Harry and Ron didn't come back, I've still got good friends like Luna, Ginny, and Neville. I do write to both of them constantly, though.

Harry became Head Auror after a quick promotion thanks to Kingsley Shacklebolt in the Ministry, and Ron's been helping George run Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. He decided that the Ministry wasn't for him, but rather help out in the shop and take care of his nieces and nephews.

I still don't understand where Ron and I stand in our relationship, and there haven't been any clues in his letters. Ginny told me to just see what will happen when I visit him at the Burrow for Christmas.

I give the password to the gargoyle and step forward.

"P-Professor?" I stammer as she holds a piece of parchment paper up to her face, eyeing it closely.

"Ah, Ms. Granger," she says, looking up. Her face looks drained and more aged since the battle, but still manages to have plenty of enthusiasm and energy to run Hogwarts, and she's worked here longer than most of the professors.

"You wanted to discuss something?" I ask nervously, seating myself in one of the two velvet chairs in front of her desk.

"Yes," she replies, nodding as she sets the parchment down and eyeing me, which doesn't help my nervousness.

Is it about Ron? Harry? My work? N.E.W.Ts?

There's so many possibilities as to what this could be about, and all the scenarios running through my head aren't very pleasant.

"I must say, Ms. Granger, that you are doing better than ever in your studies," she starts, and I audibly sigh. "I have a student who needs assistance in Transfiguration and Astronomy, and with your outstanding grades, I would like to ask you to be a tutor for him. It would require you to study together for two hours until further notice. It would occur every day with the exception of Fridays, Satuardays, Sundays, and holidays, of course."

A tutor? Me? How can I say no to her? Well, the conditions seem fair enough, and I don't have anything better to do.

I must admit, I've actually missed Ron and Harry asking me to help - more like do - their schoolwork, and I always could help out a fellow student. I haven't got anything to do besides studying and homework, outside of that I usually spend time with Ginny and Luna or write letters to Harry or Ron.

I hesitate, considering my response one more time.

"Sure, Professor," I say finally, giving her a timid smile.

"Good," she says, seeming very relieved. "Starting tonight at seven, I would like for you and Mr. Malfoy-"

"Wait," I interrupt, my mouth dropping wide open.

"Is there a problem, Ms. Granger?" she inquires, looking me straight in the eye.

"W-Well," I stammer, unable to explain how absolutely horrible the idea of me tutoring Malfoy would be. "I didn't know it'd be Malfoy."

"Does that change anything?" she asks indifferently. "You already share a common room and live separately from the rest of your fellow classmates. I would suspect that you probably laid down some rules too, and given that you both are reasonable people, I would guess that those rules shouldn't interfere with sessions."

How could she know? Are we both that predictable? I decide not to press the thought further.

"Well... no, but you see Professor, that would be-"