13

(Above) "Oh, I see... You're still pretending you don't love her."

_________________________

Monday, October 25th, 1999

Draco

"How's school been going for you and your lot?" I ask Xander at dinner, who's ended up next to me and Blaise again.

Odd coincidence that I keep running into him, but since the first day of the school year, I've taken it upon myself to make sure that he doesn't end up like I was.

Again, though, before he responds, he looks astonished that I asked in the first place. But then, he clears his throat and says, "It's been alright."

I cock my head to the side. "Just alright?" I can tell he's holding back, but I'm not going to press it unless he wants to continue talking.

He sighs. "It's hard. I'm... a half-blood." His voice is shaking, and his eyes are wide with fear.

He thinks... he thinks I'd dislike him if I knew. Wow.

"Purebloods have been able to study all of their lives," he continues, and my face goes sour at the comment. He misinterprets it, rushing to back up his words. "I-I mean, they're luckier t-to-"

"It's alright, that just... reminded me of something unpleasant. Nothing to do with you."

He visibly sighs, and then looks embarrassed for it. "Note, Mr. Malfoy."

"What?"

"Coming down," he says, pointing above my head.

Sure enough, a piece of parchment is fluttering down to me, and I snatch it out of the air.

Malfoy,

I've got an awkward question, and I think that you might be able to answer it. It's alright if you're not alright with talking about it, but if you were, I was wondering if we could talk about it...

Granger

"What does she mean?" I wonder aloud, and Xander looks over at the parchment before I can hide it.

"I'm assuming it's a problem with romantic feelings."

"W-What?" I stammer, and he tilts his head.

"I mean with a boy that she's confused about. I heard that her supposed potential love interest Ron Weasley announced that he was dating Padma Patil."

"Where'd you hear that?" I ask curiously.

"Gossip about Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, and Hermione Granger travels fast. My older sister, Katie, was talking about it with my mum. They're rather... up to date with the gossip."

"Oh."

Xander looks at me strangely for a few seconds silently, and then says, "I know it's none of my business, Mr. Malfoy, but you seem to have thought that when I said 'romantic question', it was about you."

I have to work hard to keep my voice flat, though I'm not sure why I need to bother.

"No," I say, and he shrugs, not pressing the matter.

"If you say so, Mr. Malfoy."

-----

After dinner, I rush upstairs to McGonagall's classroom, but when I reach the door, I hear her voice. It seems like she's talking to herself, and I decide to enter quietly, slowly opening the door. Inside, Granger stands a few feet away from the door with her back to me, mumbling to herself. It seems that she's reading something.