23

McGonagall

Most students know that I'm an Animagus. Specifically, a tabby cat. And yet, I know that familiars roam the castle halls all of the time, so some 'random' cat walking around the school isn't too suspicious.

Severus knew what I was thinking, but I decided to leave before he could stop me. I figured that if he couldn't explain how dangerous of an idea this was, I could pretend that a student using two Dark Arts books couldn't be too much of a threat.

Now, as I walk down the corridor towards the library, I'm starting to get nervous. If I don't know who the student is and what they've been using the books for, then I can't prepare myself for what I may face.

Maybe it's an unwise decision to venture alone, but I'm not even sure if the thief will come tonight. They might not, which means that I could be sleeping instead of risking my safety on a conspiracy.

No, I chastise myself, this is for the students' safety. To keep them safe.

I silently Transfigure back into my human form to quietly unlock the doors of the library, quickly slipping in and shutting them behind me before returning my cat form.

I hear a little noise, which sounds like scuffling that seems to be coming from the Restricted Section, unsurprisingly. I make sure that I stay out of sight and not make any sounds as I creep toward the noise, and when I reach the Restricted Section, I can see a lantern being lifted to a book.

The figure holding the light has their back turned, so I can't see their face, but I know by their robes that it's a student. A Slytherin.

As I peek from behind a bookshelf at the person, I hear them murmuring to themselves. I can barely make out what they're saying, but I catch phrases like 'Advanced torture spells' and 'To make him pay'.

That's not good, I think to myself. But if I could see the student's face...

Suddenly, as if someone heard my wish, the person turned to reveal...

Gregory Goyle.

Draco

The next morning, I find myself waking with a genuine smile on my face, which scares the hell out of me, but I graciously accept it. I know that the second date with Hermione put me in this mood, but I actually don't hate it.

When I see Hermione waiting for me in the common room, a smile appears on my face, which she returns.

"Good morning, Draco," she says as I sit beside her on the sofa.

"Morning, d-" I stop myself before the rest of the word can exit from my mouth, embarrassed.

"What were you going to say?" she asks curiously.

"Nothing," I say flatly, and stand up. "Let's go to breakfast now, shall we?"

Hermione presses her lips together, but doesn't ask any more questions. Instead, she takes my hand and stands up as well. "Alright then."

Hermione

Darling. Or dear. Or something close to that.

I know that's what he was going to call me, I'm not an idiot, but I want to hear him say it without me trying to force him to.

Walking down the halls beside him and heading for the Great Hall is something that feels strange, but in a good way. Before, we were simply classmates, mutual friends, people who shared a common room. But now he means more to me than ever imaginable.