what a catch, peter

2008 during folie-

I got this idea a while ago after watching a video of pete and patrick performing "what a catch, donnie," and pete just looked so upset-

so, I found it again and decided to finish it.

pete wiped his eyes as he stepped off the small stage. it was not patrick's fault, he was not the one who suggested it, and pete knew that. it was not anyone's fault.

the two decided they would let the fans choose. they both knew it was a bad idea, but they thought it could be fun.

"pete," patrick mumbles, gently placing a hand on pete's shoulder. "I'm sorry," he says quietly. it was not his fault, though he felt he needed to apologise.

"it isn't your fault, patrick," pete mumbles, still wiping his eyes, his voice quivering slightly.

"I know, but I feel bad," patrick said, gently pulling pete into a hug. "we can leave soon, and then we'll go back to the hotel," patrick spoke softly.

pete just nods, holding onto patrick tightly. "I'm sorry,"

"you've no reason to apologise, pete," patrick whispers.

"hey, you two need to head back," the security guard said, pointing to where the two would have to talk to an interviewer.

patrick looked back, nodding some. "yeah, just a minute,"

the security guard nods and walks off to leave the boys alone again.

"okay, a small, few minutes for the interview then we can go, okay? you don't even have to talk."

"okay," pete whispered, going to the woman the security guard pointed to before; patrick following quickly.

as pete made his way to the lady, he did his best to hide his upset feelings, putting on a huge, fake smile for the lady and camera. 

"pete, hi!" the lady smiles, holding out a hand for pete to shake. "oh, patrick, hi," she looked at the short, strawberry blonde man as he approached the two.

"hi," patrick smiled, as she shook his hand as well.

"you two were amazing!" the lady spoke cheerfully.

"well, thank you," patrick smiles, nodding some.

"so, I've got a few questions for you," she starts, looking at her paper. "so, okay, the last song you performed, 'what a catch, Donnie,' pete you seem to have been very emotional. what does that song mean to you?" she looked up at pete, holding the microphone up to his face.

"uuuh," pete mumbles, his eyes darting around as he thought of an answer to explain his most personal, emotional song- for him at least. he glanced at patrick, scared to tell the woman, though the song is clear as to what it means. "it's just- err..." pete looks down, shaking his head brain too cluttered to really think. "it's just a really emotional song, y'know? i can't really explain it," he mumbles.

the woman nodded slightly, moving on awkwardly.

the interview went on a few minutes longer before the woman ended it with turning to the camera. she threw on that huge smile they all do when ending an uncomfortable interview.

pete stared at his feet as they walked away and out to their rental car.

"it'll be okay," patrick whispered as they climbed in. "it will."

pete only nodded, messing with his hands.

the car ride was quiet and short. soon they were at the hotel, and patrick brought pete in, checked in, and went to their shared hotel room.

"can we watch a movie or something?"

"of course," patrick smiled, getting in bed, pulling pete close as he turned on some random movie.

it took a while, but pete finally started to feel better. cuddling with patrick and getting his hair messed with was nice. he ended up falling asleep by the time the movie had ended, and patrick smiled, giving pete's forehead a small kiss.

"I love you, so, so much." patrick whispered, as he got himself situated and ready for bed.