~brendon's a dick~

talks about abuse
-should probably skip if it's a problem for you-

~this is dumb~

"you act like you've had it so hard!" brendon laughed, watching patrick sinking uncomfortably in his seat. "everyone's parents yells at them, everyone's parents have hit them! you stupid fuck! there is absolutely no reason for you to be complaining about this shit!"

patrick did not speak a word, only waited for pete to return.

"you are so unnecessarily ridiculous!"

patrick stares down, listening silently to brendon as he continues to speak.

"bren?" pete frowns, stepping back into the living room. "'trick, what's going on?" he asks, seeing how uncomfortable patrick seemed.

pete had not heard much more than the last statement and brendon's laughing, but he saw clearly that patrick was uncomfortable.

"n-nothing!" patrick says quickly, glancing at brendon for a second.

"yeah, we're just joking around." brendon smiled.

"come sit down," patrick said, trying to act like he was not so uncomfortable. he sits up, patting pete's spot from before.

pete shakes his head, beckoning the blonde over to him. "no, I feel like we should go."

"oh, uh, o-okay," patrick nods, practically running to pete.

brendon frowned, watching his friend hold the small man close. "awh, why? you're leaving so early!"

"'trick's got work in the morning." pete lies, stepping closer to the door. "I've gotta get him home."

brendon knew it was a lie, but he nods, waving them goodbye.
~~~

"'trick?" pete asks, glancing over to patrick in the passenger side seat.

"yeah?"

"what was bren saying to you?"

"oh," patrick mumbles, looking up from the window and over to pete. "uhm..., nothing,"

"patrick,"

the blonde frowned, eyes staring down at his hands in his lap. "uhm... he said that I had no reason to complain so much about my parents. I act like I've had it so hard. he said that everyone's parents yell at them and everyone's parents would hit them." patrick shrugs, not bothering to look away from his hands.

"oh, 'trick..." pete mumbled. "how did that even come up?"

"I don't remember. I said, like, one thing about my dad- oh, no, he asked why I had come along? I think he was just expecting you... but I told him that my parents had been fighting, so you brought me with you. I might've mentioned my dad threatening me... I don't remember entirely."

pete looks around, finding a place to pull off, sighing softly as he parks the car. "patrick," he said softly, turning in his seat. "none of what he said is true, okay? you are not being ridiculous. yes, most people's parents fight, but they don't take it out on their kids. most parents have hit their kids, but because they were being disciplined. a light smack to the mouth for back talk, a spank on the butt for something they weren't supposed to do- that's discipline. that is different from abuse."

patrick nods, staying silent, wiping at his eyes as they fill with tears.

"you aren't -acting- like you've had it hard. all of what brendon said was wrong. he shouldn't have said anything about it anyway." pete sighs, leaning over the center console, pulling patrick into a tight hug. "it's okay that you talk about it. especially if it helps. you can always come to me when you need, okay?"

patrick nods, whimpering softly as he held onto pete. "thank you," he whispered.

"of course,"

the hug was long, five minutes at least before patrick decided he would have to get home soon. so, pete obliged, driving once again.
~~~

"pete," patrick frowned, looking back at the house. "pete, you passed my house, I have to go home."

pete shook his head, offering his boyfriend a small smile. "you're staying with me tonight."

"pete, I really have to get home, my-"

"we'll worry about him tomorrow, 'trick. tell your mom you're staying over."

patrick sighed, but did as pete said, telling his mother that he would not be home.
~~~

"patrick's staying over!" pete says, pulling patrick up the stairs.

pete's mom did not seem to care, yelling back an "okay."

"I'll get you some sweats and we can cuddle and watch tv until we fall asleep." pete smiled, finding sweatpants as he said.
~~~

patrick laughs quietly at pete's stupid joke, hiding his face in pete's chest. "shut up," he mumbled.

"noo!" pete chuckled, moving so he could see patrick. "no, 'cause I'm funny, and you know it."

"whatever," patrick yawned, "go to sleep,"

"after you."

patrick huffed, but got comfortable, dozing off a minute or two later.