Chapter 18

Wei shivered uncomfortably, remembering what happened the last time they were together. He had feared this moment would come. He had acted terribly towards him and now Yunlan probably hated him.

"I know," he said, fighting to keep his voice steady. "Why did you help me? Aren't you... upset with me?"

Yunlan studied him silently, not making it easier.

"Angry? Weirded out?" Wei suggested.

More silence, then Yunlan finally spoke.

"I'm not. And I'm not scared of you one bit." His voice was firm, and he sounded sincere. Wei was stunned, it wasn't what he had expected.

"I don't hate you, I've had worse encounters and have been in much worse situations than being stuck onto a comfy couch," Yunlan said next.
"Plus, I've met my share of weird people in my life."

Wei raised an eyebrow and Yunlan laughed. "Ok, maybe not the same kind of weird as you are."

Wei smiled despite himself. "How many kind of weird there are then?"

Yunlan replied seriously as if he hadn't noticed Wei's attempt at being playful.

"I'm a cop," he said with a shrug. "I've met some people who were crazy-weird and some who were a very dangerous kind of weird." Yunlan cracked a smile. "I've even met a few who were cute weird, but you... you are different."

Wei's heart bumped in disappointment at not being included in the cute category, but he quickly ignored it.
"What kind am I then?"

"You are a mysterious kind of weird that I've never met before."

Wei hesitated, unsure of how he was supposed to take that statement.

"It's a compliment, by the way. I'm attracted to mysteries. You may have noticed that."

Wei's heart skipped a beat. Could he take that as meaning that Yunlan was attracted to him, or was he letting his imagination go onto the wrong path, a fantasy-trip that would never take him anywhere?

But also, why did he care? Wasn't he trying to distance himself? He had been so sure that the best thing for him was to stay away and resume his life as anonymously as possible, and yet here he was, talking amiably with Yunlan. He knew how these things always went for him, he should just walk away and forget about the whole thing, but he couldn't.

A part of him was worried about the condition of that man in the hospital, about what had happened to him and what it could mean, while another part of him, the one he tried to keep under control, was stupidly relieved that Yunlan didn't hate him.

Even knowing that it would never bring him anything good, he liked talking to him. Maybe it was only because he rarely spoke to other human beings, but deep inside he suspected there was another, more frightning reason.

At that moment a waiter arrived and put two cups of hot green tea in front of them. They sipped it in silence, enjoying the hot liquid warming them up from the inside.

Wei spoke first. His voice had a melancholic note that perfectly accompanied his mirthless smile.
"I'm not a mystery anymore. You know everything about me now."

Yunlan kept his eyes on him, studying his face.
"I only know what one journalist once wrote about you. That's hardly everything."

Wei couldn't describe what he was feeling. He thought he'd never see Yunlan again after what happened at his house, and the old anger had vanished after his outburst.

He had expected Yunlan to resent him for what he did, but the man in front of him showed nothing of the sort. On the contrary, Yunlan's gaze was as curious as it had always been, but also quiet and welcoming. Wei thought he owed it to him to satisfy his curiosity. It was only fair.