Chapter 41

The dinner with Andrew was not the dreadful ordeal Wei had imagined. Somehow, now that he didn't feel exhausted anymore, he found the whole thing to be quite a lot of fun.

As they step into the house, after retrieving the car near the park, Wei got immediately assaulted by a very eager ghost anxious for them to keep their promise.

Wei had a smile on his face the whole time while he watched the enthusiastic figure of his friend floating all around the kitchen to prepare a full course meal for two while Yunlan waited in the living room watching tv.

Andrew made quite a mess, using every utensil at his disposal: cutting, boiling, baking. Not even children on Christmas day were so happy.

Wei didn't even worry at the amount of stuff that would need cleaning afterwards. After making sure that every stove was turned off and there was no risk of his apartment blowing up, he sat down. That night Wei and Yunlan ate a delicious dinner.

The kitchen was left in a state of post-war that would have taken Wei a very long time to clean, but luckily for him, DongMei was more than happy to help Andrew put everything in order.

After dinner, they retreated to Wei's bedroom where they could finally enjoy some time truly alone. The time they spent together, lying naked while talking about sweet nothing and joking, was just as enjoyable as the sex had been.

When Yunlan mentioned something about needing to go home, Wei didn't ask any questions. He didn't press for an explanation he knew wasn't necessary. He would let Yunlan have as much space and alone time as he needed.

The next days, Wei spent his leave working with Yunlan in ending the missing people case as quickly and efficiently as possible. Tracking down the people possessed by dark energy and getting rid of the evil Shadows was much easier now. It was overwhelming the amount of energy that rushed inside his body, he felt powerful, invincible, and his ghost friends were proportionally stronger as well.

What he did was sending all his friends exploring in search for humans tainted by dark energy. Wei and Yunlan would then drive there so that Wei could complete the process and make sure no trace of dark energy remained inside the bodies of the unfortunate victims. Yunlan then made sure that they were brought to a hospital where they would be looked after.

To Ling's annoyance, they tracked down all the missing people by themselves. It took a lot of time but they found every single one. Ling was rather put out by their blatant lack of consideration, to the point that Wei felt guilty about it. Yunlan didn't.

Wei also went back to the people in the hospitals that he had not been able to fully help before, and Yunlan was soon able to close the case with the satisfaction of his chief and the public.

Wei and Yunlan spent almost every night at Wei's apartment. Sometimes Yunlan would sleep there, other times he returned home, but Wei never pressured him.

Yunlan wasn't sure why they never stayed at his place. His mind went through many possible explanations that changed with time. Did Wei want to get him used to his own apartment? A bit too devious, Yunlan discarded it quickly. Was Wei uncomfortable in Yunlan's room? Maybe jealous of who might have slept there before? This was also discarded quickly, they weren't kids anymore, and it sounded ridiculous.

Finally, Yunlan noticed how Wei always looked around the room before starting to undress. He realised that he was probably making sure that they were truly alone. They always were, as much as Yunlan could tell, but for Wei it was different. Obviously. Yunlan started wondering who was he sharing a bedroom with at his own place. He recalled the first time Wei went there and his sudden interest for Korean names. A female ghost, then. Interesting.