Chapter 39

Ignoring everyone else at this point, Wei had eyes only for Yunlan. His last words swirled in his mind and he felt his heart jump in his chest.

"Did you need me here? Officer Hong said you found two missing persons." He managed to get his composure back. He wanted to talk more with him about the shirt, about waking up in his bed, but he didn't want to do it with all those people around. Right now Yunlan was working and had requested his help, so the rest would have to wait.

"One is over there," Yunlan said, nodding and pointing to the woman Wei had already seen when they had arrived.

"She still seems out of herself," Wei said, keeping his voice low. "Can we move somewhere more private? I want to try something."

Yunlan tilted his head in curiosity, then he grabbed his arm and pulled him away from all the others.

"What is it?"

"I'm not sure, but I had a strange dream last night, and I feel kind of different now. I want to try to help her and see what happens."

"Different how?" Yunlan asked unable to control himself, but then he thought better of it. His curiosity could wait, they had more important things right now.

"Never mind, you'll tell me later. Try whatever you want."

Wei gave him a warm smile, there was an unspoken trust in that simple but firm statement that made him happy.
He called upon Huan and immediately saw him appear at his side. "Free her," he said, before calling Takeo's name. "Destroy that Shadow."

At his words, Yunlan's eyes opened wide and he turned towards the woman as if expecting something to happen, but he could only see that she had stopped moving.

Wei, on the other hand, had clearly seen Huan push the Shadow out of the woman's body, then Takeo had used his energy to fly into it and tear it apart.

There was new, burning energy inside Wei that made both himself and his ghost friends stronger than before. Takeo had attacked the dark spirit until it had been shredded to pieces in an explosion of white light. Nothing remained of it now.

Wei didn't feel guilty. He would never harm anyone intentionally, but this dark spirit wasn't a person, it wasn't alive, and it had threatened the living. He only had that one way to stop it for good, knowing that if he didn't that Shadow would never stop hurting human after human.

It was over pretty quickly. Rather anticlimactic, from Yunlan's point of view. From Wei's serious, sort of approving expression, he had a feeling something big had happened, but he had no way of knowing.

Other than asking, that is.
"What happened? Did it work?"

"Yes," was Wei's reply. He still had his eyes on the unmoving woman and seemed to be considering something.

When Wei started moving, calling for Qing's help and approaching the unconscious woman, Yunlan kept right beside him. An officer tried to stop him, but Yunlan was there to ensure that he had free access. The man appeared conflicted for a few seconds, but eventually gave in to Yunlan's authoritative tone and stepped aside, keeping close just in case anything happened.

Wei sat next to the woman in the police car she had been placed into before she fell unconscious, and he took one of her hands in his.

With the help of Wei's considerable energy, Qing cleared her body of all the dark energy left by the unwelcome spirit. When Wei left her hand go, he smiled knowing that she was now simply sleeping. Her body had a lot of recovering to do, but doctors would see to that and she'd be alright.

He exited the car under Yunlan's questioning eyes. It was evident that he was dying of curiosity, and Wei smiled reassuringly.

"She's fine, now. I don't know how long it will be before she wakes up, but she will."