Chapter 28

Wei had been checking his phone, eager to get home and find out if he could see Yunlan tonight, when suddenly something happened.

Up until that moment everything had been just as usual. Jay had been pestering him again about the proper way to work: he didn't usually have to do it because Wei had always been quick and precise, but today he kept thinking about Yunlan and working much slower than usual.

Gelan stayed behind while LiLing kept very close to him. Suddenly he noticed something strange about her, as if she was conflicted between staying close or moving away.

At the same time he heard Gelan murmur, "My baby calls me," right before she disappeared.

Wei's confusion lasted barely a second. LiLing's words were a simple confirmation of what he had already realised.

She said in her usual feeble voice, "My love needs me, my love is here, calls me... here..."
She seemed torn between the need to stay with him and the need to go to him.

Wei quickly searched for Yunlan's department's number. No use calling him, Yunlan was obviously in danger, he wouldn't have time to answer phone calls.

He frantically explained that Yunlan needed help, asking if they knew where he was, insisting that they should help him. He didn't pay attention to who answered his call, Yunlan was the only thing on his mind.

He was told that they would see to it immediately, so he sagged in the chair. He wanted to know what was going on, if Yunlan was alright, he wanted to rush there and wrap him in his arms.

He couldn't do that though, he didn't know where he was. The workday was over anyway so he gathered his stuff and went home walking as quickly as he could.

As he entered into his apartment he noticed that Luca, Huan and DongMei were also absent, just like Takeo. Yunlan must have called them all. Why? What was going on?

He was so anxious he was barely able to breathe, until he saw his friends coming back. The best choice to find the answer he was looking for was obviously Takeo, and he felt a great amount of relief learning that his mission had gone well and the enemy had been stopped.

He got up thinking of rushing to the station, cursing himself for not thinking about it immediately, but then he stopped at the door.

Yunlan was without his lucky charm now. What if he met with danger again? He had to give him another one as soon as possible. There was nothing he could do for Yunlan over at the station, but he could do something here.
He went into the bathroom but he was so agitated that it took him a while. Luckily he had already sewn another tube cover, so he didn't have to do that.

When he heard a frantic knock on the door he opened it to find himself face to face with Yunlan.

He smiled a big, although weak smile and threw his arms around his neck.

"You're here," was all he could say.

Yunlan had prepared a lot of questions, but they were delayed seeing Wei's pale face and hearing his feeble voice.

"Are you alright?" he asked instead.

"You're here," was once again all Wei could say, and also his answer to that question. He was alright. As long as Yunlan was alive and with him, he was alright.

Yunlan entered the apartment with difficulty. Wei seemed to have no intention of letting him go and was walking backwards with his arms still around him.

When he did let go though, his expression changed. Wei saw the mark on his neck.

"What happened to you?"

"It's a long story. First I'd like to know..."

He couldn't finish his sentence because Wei stopped him to call Qing.
"He's hurt, he needs you... I'm fine, can't you see he's hurt?"

Wei's last words had a harsh tone to them but before Yunlan could make sense of it he felt a warm energy fill his body and the pain slowly fading away.

He raised a hand to his neck. It didn't hurt as before. He felt Wei grabbing his hand while that warm feeling enveloped him, and soon every last bit of pain vanished.

Wei hugged him again, but this time it felt like he was weakly clinging on to him. Yunlan frowned and lead him to a chair. He grabbed him by the arms to help him sit down but it didn't escape him how Wei's face contorted when he touched his left arm.

"What is it? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine, don't worry about me. Does your neck still hurt? Tell me, we can help..."

Yunlan wasn't going to be silenced with a simple I'm fine, so he took his left arm noticing that the cuff was unbuttoned. He rolled the sleeve up against Wei's weak protests to reveal a big purple bruise.

"You need a lucky charm again. Don't worry, I have a lot inside me." Wei smiled, speaking like a drunk man due to his drowsiness. He was so weak he would have fallen unconscious already if it wasn't for how worried he was about Yunlan.

It didn't need detective deduction skills at this point to understand what was going on. Yunlan gasped and quickly took the pendant off his neck and ripped the cover off to reveal the blood vial he had carried around all day.

"This is..."

"Useless now. Don't worry, I made another one for you." Wei said those words with a weak but proud smile on his face, pointing a finger towards the table where he had left the new pendant.

Wei's eyes were starting to close so Yunlan picked him up and carried him to bed.

"Stay with me," Wei murmured fighting to keep his eyes open.

"Sleep now, I'm not going anywhere."

Wei grabbed his hand, a weak touch but Yunlan didn't resist. He joined him into bed and hugged him tight to give him some warmth back.

Wei smiled and his eyes closed, yielding to fatigue. Yunlan watched him fall asleep. This was what he meant then, when he said that they were now connected. Wei had given him his blood; tonight he had taken some more hurting himself in the process, and then he had given him all his energy to relieve his pain.

Yunlan sighed, how should he react to this? He spent quite some time thinking about it, about him, unable to reach a conclusion. The only thing he could do at the moment was to keep that precious man wrapped in his arms, watching his face while he slept, so he did. He covered both of them and kept Wei's body close. He listened to his breathing becoming more and more steady and regular, and hugged him protectively.

In his sleep, Wei moved even closer. Yunlan watched him bury his face against his side, noting with mixed feelings that he seemed to be the cuddling type. He kept watching him for a while, then he put an arm around Wei's shoulder and pulled him in so that he could rest his head on his chest.

He placed a kiss on the top of his head, sighed again and closed his eyes, ready to fall asleep.