Chapter 20

Wei gasped. Despite her obvious bitterness, there was something in her words that made him pause. It actually sounded reasonable to him. Nothing like that had ever happened before he crossed paths with Yunlan. What if she was right? What if it all started with him? He tried to remember how long had it been since he first met Yunlan until the child went missing. Not long, maybe a few days.

Suddenly he wanted to be alone, he had to think it through. Could he be responsible in some way? How could it be a coincidence, maybe it really was because of him, somehow he was the cause of all this mess.

It wasn't an everyday thing for Shadows to take over human bodies, and yet after he met Yunlan and saved that girl they began acting on a large scale.
He hadn't seen the last person to be found, but he had little doubts that his condition would be the same as the man he saw in the hospital. All controlled by Shadows. They let go of the child because his little body couldn't do many of the things an adult could. He got lucky.

Wei turned on his heels and walked out of there without a word or a look at anyone, basically running away right in front of Yunlan, who watched him move and stood conflicted.

Yunlan had really wanted to express his anger with powerful and no doubt colourful words, giving Hong a piece of his mind until she wished that he ignored her again, but when he saw Wei get out in a hurry he promptly changed his mind. He followed him outside without a second thought.

Wei had reached his car, but Yunlan stopped him by putting an arm against the door, keeping it shut.

"Don't listen to her, she's an evil witch," he told him.

Wei smiled sadly. "Sometimes even evil witches can be right."

"What are you saying, you didn't harm those people!"

"You sure?"

"I trust you." Yunlan just knew it, he had only ever seen him do good. He had spoken in a low voice, so quiet and yet so sure that it surprised even himself.

They looked at each other for a moment that seemed eternal, then something happened.

A familiar feeling, something Wei had felt so many times in his life, but since he grew up it had never been without his prior knowledge and consent. Wei didn't see her because she was behind him, but he felt it. She took just that bit of energy she needed, then she pushed.

Wei fell forward, and directly into Yunlan's arms. Yunlan opened them without thinking, his instinct to protect was well trained, and he stopped Wei's fall easily.

Yunlan held him by the upper arms, unsure of what had caused him to fall forward, keeping him steady until he regained his balance.

It had been so quick that Wei was just as shocked, and the next moment saw him clinging to those strong shoulders for support, feeling Yunlan's muscles under his fingers, his warmth was like fire.

Just an inch from his face, Wei felt dizzy inhaling Yunlan's masculine scent and when he raised his eyes into Yunlan's concerned ones, when he slowly lowered them to see that his lips were still parted in surprise, something snapped and his lips moved as if on their own accord.

Wei kissed Yunlan.

It wasn't planned, but he couldn't control it. As soon as their mouths touched, he closed his eyes and got lost in what felt like an embrace. His lips brushed over Yunlan's softly, respectfully, a gentle touch that caused Yunlan to freeze on the spot.

It lasted three seconds, then Wei's right hand move towards Yunlan's hair but the movement caused him to grasp what was happening. His hand stopped and he got a hold of himself realising what he had done and parted full of apologies. "Sorry, it was LiLing, I... sorry, I'm really sorry."