Chapter 19

Wei had finished eating and was now watching Yunlan eat in silence.

Yunlan was lost in thought and didn't notice him staring, only lazily pocking at his food without much enthusiasm.

He finally gave up and set the plate aside. He wasn't hungry anymore.

"Are there more?" he asked. "Are these the only ones living with you?"

Wei looked at the discarded rice with a frown. There was still fish in there, it seemed a sin to let it go to waste.

"Usually yes. I also see Jay every day, but he always stays at the company. He only cares about numbers," Wei said bringing the rice closer.

"Occasionally I meet someone new." Wei took a bite then considered if it would be wise to tell Yunlan that Nari was staying with him at his house without his knowledge.

He decided it was best to leave it at that for now.
"Those are my friends, yes," he concluded.

Yunlan watched him while he finished his food wondering how could he be that hungry without getting fat.

"What about normal friends?" Yunlan asked before he could think twice about it. "I mean, friends that are actually alive?"

Wei shrugged. "I don't have any."

"Isn't it a bit lonely, having no friends?"

Wei raised his eyes. "I'm never alone."

Yunlan sighed and said nothing more. He wanted to, but for once the words got stuck in his throat and refused to come out.

They were having a peaceful, open conversation, and Yunlan was enjoying it. He wanted to know if Wei would make an exception for him, accepting one more friend in his life, letting him get close, but he knew how these things always ended up.

He didn't want to break what they were having. There was something about Wei's demeanour that had fascinated him from the start, and he didn't want to risk it.

Once Wei had finished eating, they silently got up and Yunlan headed for the door.

"Wait, what about the bill?" Wei asked.

"I paid already, let's go."

Wei thanked him feeling embarrassed that he had paid for him again, but followed him out without another word. They got in the car and this time Yunlan drove them home.

Since he was driving, Yunlan kept his eyes on the road while he addressed the topic that mattered the most at the moment.

"I know you went to see that man. What happened? He didn't wake up or I would have been informed by now."

Wei lowered his head. "I'm sorry. He'll have to wake up on his own. I could only help with... with his problem."

"I'm not blaming you, I just want to know what happened. What is this problem? Do you really need to be so vague with me now?"

Wei sighed. It seemed silly to hesitate after everything he had already told him, but he couldn't help it.

"Come on Wei, tell me."

Wei lowered his eyes and spoke.
"The man has come in contact with the Shadows. His body was saturated with dark energy."

There was silence while Yunlan digested those words.

"How did that happen?" he finally asked.

"I guess a Shadow took over his body. I don't know why. I never saw it happen before, the man's body was full of it."