Chapter 34

Yunlan had felt so uncomfortable calling Wei a mere friend, knowing very well that they were much more than that, but honestly, what could he say? He certainly couldn't refer to him as his boyfriend! On one hand, they had never talked about what they were; on the other, the most important one, it was his personal life and it wasn't his nature to volunteer private information to strangers.

It wasn't hiding. He was well past his teenage days when that kind of thing would have been difficult. If asked directly, he would have no reservations in answering honestly, but that nurse had been a complete stranger and private lives are called private for a reason.

He liked his job because he was the one asking the questions, never the one who got to answer. His life was his and to volunteer information was simply against his nature.

He was still uncomfortable, though, because he didn't know how Wei would take it. They didn't know each other so well, yet. Would Wei think that he was keeping a distance? That he was ashamed? That he didn't think they were anything more?

Shortly after the words had left his mouth, he inwardly cursed himself for being so stupid. He could have said that Wei was a consultant or something, keeping it professional without revealing unnecessary private details.

He had tried to apologise, worried that Wei might feel like there was nothing worth mentioning between them. Wei's reaction left him feeling very much relieved. Wei was ok with that, he didn't judge him for his poor choice of words, and Yunlan was immensely relieved and grateful, until he heard those words.

Is there anyone else?

That had hurt. He was not a cheater and Wei knew that, he had said that before, did Wei not believe him? He wasn't a liar either, and it always irked him terribly whenever his honesty was questioned. Did Wei think that he would have slept with him if he was already sleeping with someone else? It didn't matter to him that they hadn't discussed being a proper couple. To him, that would be cheating, no buts allowed.

All those things went through his head while he analysed the matter. He reviewed it in his mind from every angle and he slowly realised that to most people it would be considered cheating only if they were a couple. It didn't make a difference to him but maybe it did to Wei, and just like him Wei also wasn't sure of how to call what they had. Maybe Wei thought that he considered himself free to sleep with whoever he wanted to. After all, other than sleep together they had only always talked about work.

It made him wish for more clarity.

It was time to do something about it.
This person in front of him was indeed important, he couldn't risk ruining this chance.

They had never been on a date, they had always talked about his cases or about Wei's bizarre domestic situation. To be a proper couple they should be dating, right? So it was time to start.

He chose a good place, one of those that screamed of money. He didn't have much, but it was their first date and he was out to impress.

He held the door open for Wei to go first, like a proper gentleman, and he kept it open a couple of seconds more than necessary. He didn't know why but he had noticed Wei doing just that in more than one occasion. There were a lot of things about Wei that he found hard to understand, one more wasn't a big deal, so he did it anyway.

Wei seemed to appreciate it, though, and they held hands.

I like you so much.

Wei's voice was so sexy he shivered.
How could he respond to that, they were not alone and he didn't recover fast enough to say it back before the waitress walked them to their table.