thirteen

<not edited>

• shawn •

We were now in Chicago, and Andrea's eyes were lit up like stars. She seemed to love the city I guess. I smiled a little to myself and looked away as my phone went off. I was confused as to who it would be since the only person I really texted was Andrea.

A lump formed in my throat when I read the words on my screen. I had an iMessage from Bella. I turned my phone off before reading it. Don't get me wrong, I was curious about what it said, but I didn't want her to ruin my night.

"What's wrong?" Andrea's voice breaks me out of my trance and I look at her. I didn't realize that I had a frown on my lips.

I forced myself to smile at her. "Nothing."

She furrows her eyebrows but nods, looking back out the window. "Where's the party at?" she asks her friends in front seats.

I stay quiet while she communicates with her friends, not having anything to say until we got to this place next to a large hotel. It looked like a place where baby showers or wedding receptions were usually held.

I expected the party to be at a house, but I guess I was wrong. I don't really know what I expected, actually. It's a halloween party, was I supposed to wear a specific thing. It doesn't matter now since I'm stuck in the clothes I'm wearing for the rest of the night.

Andrea, Matthew, and Samantha all get out of the car in excitement and I just drag myself out. I tried to hide my misery but I couldn't help it. I wanted to know what the text said.

"You should take off your flannel," Andrea says to me before we walk in. She tells Sam and Matt to go ahead and they nod, walking into the party.

"Why?" I ask her.

"I kinda forgot to tell you it has a blackout theme," she smiles innocently, "but you have black jeans on and a black t-shirt, so you should be good."

"Oh, alrighty." I say and she cringes, probably because I used the word 'alrighty.'

I shrug my flannel off my shoulders and ask her wear I should put it. "Um..." she looks around. "Well the car is already locked and Matt has the keys, so I don't know. Hand it to me."

I pass it to her and she holds it. "I'll find somewhere to hide it once we get in. There's probably a place people are putting their jackets anyway. Let's go!" she grins cutely, grabbing my arm and tugging me inside.

I chuckle at her excitement but her excitement is soon gone and she just seems relaxed, cool... chill. I never understood the use of that word, but I think I used it correctly.

I look around me to see a sea of people dressed in black. It was pretty cool, considering the lights all around the place that didn't make it seem so dark.

"Hey, Andrea?" I speak up and she looks at me.

"Yeah?"

"Do you, um, drink?" I ask nervously, hoping she'd say no. I don't know why, but the thought of her drinking made me uncomfortable. Or even worse, what if she smoked and did drugs?

"Sometimes." she shrugs. "Not a lot, though."

I wanted to grab her and yell at her that she's only fourteen, but I knew I couldn't for multiple reasons. For one, I'm not her father and I don't have the place to tell her what she can and cannot do. Second, there's people her age and maybe even younger that do way worse than she does, then again I don't know her that well. And third, I'm only two years older than her so what do I know? She'll be fifteen in just a couple of months, so I am barely two years older anyway.

"Do you?" She asks.

"No." I reply.

After finding a place to put my flannel, Andrea guides me towards the crowd of drunken people. I don't exactly feel comfortable, and it smells in here. Andrea must have noticed my horrified expression because she starts to laugh at me.

"I'm sorry, I just--"

"It's alright, you're just tense. You need to relax. Everything's gonna be fine. What's up with you?"

I sigh. I should just tell her that Bella texted me and I wasn't in the mood to be around so many people. "Bell-"

I was interrupted by a taller boy walking up to us and greeting Andrea.

"Hey, remember me?" He grins and she blushes. He looked a lot older than her and older than me. Maybe eighteen or nineteen, I couldn't tell. He was taller than me and he had blonde hair that stood up. He also had a lip piercing.

"Shit, hey Luke." she says, staring up at him. He was a lot taller than her. I was confused but a lot of bad predictions flooded through my head. "What are you doing in Chicago?"

"Well you know I'm friends with Samantha, and she's friends with the guy who threw this party, and I love parties, so here I am." he smirks, looking her up and down. I felt uncomfortable and invisible; it's like Luke didn't even know I was there, and he probably didn't.

"Oh. Well, it was nice seeing you again." she speaks quickly, flustered. "I have to go, maybe I'll see you around."

I notice how he furrows his eyebrows when she grabs my arm and pulls me far away from him. "Who was that?" I ask her.

"No one." She shakes her head, looking around.

"He was obviously someone, who was it?"

"That was Luke." she says bluntly.

"Yeah, I got that part. Who is he?"

"This guy that I... kissed."

My eyes widen once again. Wow, this girl just keeps on finding ways to surprise me. "How old is he?"

"Eighteen." she mutters.

"What the hell..." I whisper.

"Look, it's not even that bad. That's only four years, plus I kissed him on his birthday when he was just turning eighteen anyway." she shrugs, looking down at her feet as she kicks them at mine.

"It's just that he's... you're... you know what, it doesn't matter." I shake my head, nudging her with my arm. "It's okay. There's nothing wrong with it. But... you just kissed, right?"

"Sure." she says. I don't exactly know what that means, but I'm done talking about it. "I'm gonna get something to drink, be right back. Want anything?"

I shake my head and she wanders off. I shouldn't let her go off on her own, but I don't wanna seem so protective when I'm not even her boyfriend. Am I even her friend? What am I to her? It would be amazing if I was her crush. I know I'm not though; she told me that she doesn't have crushes on people.

I took this as an opportunity to open my text from Bella. I turn my phone back on while standing in the corner by myself, waiting impatiently for it to turn back on.

When I finally open the message, my eyes almost pop out of their sockets.

xxx

what do u think bella sent him??

I'm sassoaoooooooooosososoooo hungry :/

yes i added luke Hemmings because i love hom ?!?!!?!!???????¿?? ? ? ¿ ¿??

if you guys have any requests for anyone else i should add, leave them in the comments!

:-) bless