thirty

probably lots of errors in this chapter

• andrea •

Later that day, I was up in my room working on some homework. Anna came in and asked me to help her work on her reading. I said yes because I'd do anything for a distraction from homework.

"Can I read this to you?"

"What is it?" I ask her.

"I found it on the floor next to the trashcan."

I raise my eyebrows. It's probably the paper Madison meant to throw away, I guess it just didn't land in the trashcan.

"Sure, go ahead." I tell her and lay back on the bed, closing my eyes and waiting for her to read it.

"Dear and... andr-eh... andrea." she starts and my eyes open as my brows furrow. I just let her keep reading. "I miss you a lot... I don't like not t...talk-ing to you. Pl... plee... please text me b-ack. Sh...sha... shawn?"

I snatch the paper out of her hand and read it several times. After what the note said processed through my mind, I let out a groan. Maybe I am already too far in to turn back.

---

I actually forced my mom to take me to the pharmacy at nine o'clock at night on a Monday. I told her it was urgent and I needed a few things for school the next day. But really, I had to get a note to Shawn. I could have just texted it to him, but that would be breaking my rule of no texting him.

Shawn was working, like I assumed. He was turned around, doing something with his back faced to me. My mom was waiting in the car and I had to do this quickly before he spotted me.

My mother was going to be confused as to why I didn't leave the pharmacy with any bags, but I already planned to tell her they didn't have what I was looking for. I sometimes plan ahead, just in case.

Quickly, I speed-walked up to the counter and set the note on the cash register, then rushed out of the place as fast as I could. I stood there for a second, my back against the brick wall.

Minutes later, Shawn's voice frightened me enough to make my heart stop beating for a second. "Oh, shit, you scared the hell out of me." I breathed, hand on my heart. After recovering my almost heart attack, I realize that Shawn is standing next to me.

"Andrea, please don't do this." his voice is quiet, sad.

"I have to go, my mom is waiting." I say without making eye contact. I don't think I can look him in the eye and say I don't want this.

I turn to leave but he grabs me by the arm. "Babe, c'mon."

I close my eyes, letting the feeling in the pit of my stomach sink in. "Shawn, I'm leaving."

"You weren't supposed to leave me..."

Now this is just getting dramatic. "Shit happens." I say to him before freeing myself of his grip.

I dare to look at him one more time before I walk off, and I really wish I hadn't.

xxx

i'm sad