Chapter 2

"Alright April," Stephanie says as they walk into a maternity room. "Let's take a look at your baby." April smiles faintly and walks over to the bed, gently pulling herself up onto it, pulling her scrub top up over her stomach. She looked down at her stomach for a while, easily feeling the awkward in the room. After the wedding, things had been pretty awkward between April and Stephanie, and especially Jackson. Now that she was carrying Jackson's baby, things were even more awkward. "I know you know the drill," Stephanie says. "But this is going to be cold." "Yep," April replies. "I'm ready." Stephanie squeezes the gel bottle and April flinches a little at the coldness. She then takes the wand and presses it to April stomach, applying pressure and allowing April to feel her baby against the pressed skin. The feeling was strange, amazing, a blessing and a miracle all rolled up into one. But mainly, it was surreal. There was another human being growing inside of her! "Is Jackson coming by?" Stephanie asks as the monitor turned on, revealing the baby. "To see the baby?" April looks up with a smile. "Yeah, he will be by later. He had-" "How is it going in here?" April quickly looks over and smiles at her husband. "Hey! I thought you had a patient?" "I did," Jackson replies. "But I had to come see my beautiful wife and our baby!" Jackson smiles as Stephanie moves the wand around. April smiles and looks up at Jackson, kissing his lips. "Oh," April says. "I probably won't be able to lunch today, with this and my patients, we'll just have to make up for it at dinner." Jackson nods. "Okay, that's fine. Well, I gotta go, I'll see you later." "Okay," April replies as she pecks his lips. "I love you." "I love you too." Jackson says as he leaves the room. Stephanie looks at the screen. "There it is. He's sitting like a little Buddha baby." April widens her eyes. "Oh my gosh!" "What?" Stephanie asks confused. "You just said he! And now I have to lie to my husband, that's great!" Stephanie sighs. "No, I didn't." April sighs. "He's sitting like Buddha just like last time." April looks to the side as Stephanie clicks at the computer. She grabs the rag and wipes the gel off of her stomach. "I'm sorry," Stephanie says. "We're not done." "Oh yes," April replies back as she sits up. "We are."