Chapter 16

April is hospitalized for a week after her surgery, just to make sure that everything was going well. Mark also stayed under close watch for the week, but he was doing really well. Arizona and mainly Jo stopped by a little less frequently each day to reassure good health to both mom and baby. Then after the week, April was sent home. Jackson took off for three days to help her settle with the baby while she was still recovering, but he then decided that he had to get back to work. April felt weird being at home during the weekday and it sure felt weird having a baby around the apartment. Sometimes she would forget that she had Mark and jump when she heard him cry. But, Jackson was always there to go get Mark and bring him into the room for April to calm him down or feed him or even hold him. Friday afternoon was the first smooth afternoon the April had since Mark's arrival. Her stomach didn't hurt as bad, Mark was well adjusted and she was finally starting to figure him out. Around five'oclock, she decided to get dinner started since Jackson should be home soon. April looks down at Mark as he stares back up at her with his bright blue green eyes like Jackson's. "Do you want to come with Mama so she can start cooking dinner for Daddy? He should be home soon." Mark yawns a large yawn and blinks a few times, never taking his eyes off of April. She grins. "Okay, let's go. We'll have spaghetti, just like Daddy made for me after we were first married." April slowly stands up from the couch and walks into the kitchen, balancing Mark in one arm as she begins to fix the spaghetti. April barely drops the noodles into the fresh water when the front door opens. "Hey babe, I'm home." Jackson calls. A wide smile forms across her face as she peaks her head into the entryway. "Hi! I missed you so much! Both of us did!" Jackson laughs as he walks up to his wife and kisses her lips. "How is our son?" "Good," April says. "But you can see him in a minute." Jackson raises an eyebrow as April hurries out of the room and lays their son in his bouncer on the floor. "Aw," he whines. "Why can't I see him now?" April giggles as she goes up to her husband and wraps her arms around his waist, looking up at him with sweet eyes. "Because I wanna see you." Jackson laughs as he wraps his arms just under her bottom and scoops her up as she laughs happily. He grins and moves a strand of loose hair behind her ear. "How was your day? How is your incision?"" April sighs and puts her hand to his cheek. "It's doing better and my day was good, but I'm really missing the hospital and my patients. The most exciting thing that happens here is when Mark spits up on me and I have to change clothes!" Jackson laughs. "You're supposed to be enjoying your time as a new mother, not wishing it away! I mean, lunch was boring without you, but I don't want you to wish it away." April smiles and strokes his cheek with her thumb. "I'm not wishing anything away. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything, even with the bumps along the way and the scare, everything turned out okay. And, I think that you learned how things go when they're in God's hands." Jackson looks over at Mark as he looks up at the ceiling fan and then to his wife as he presses his forehead to hers with a smile. "Yeah. He gave me you back, our beautiful son. He gave me my whole world. I guess He does have it all in His hands."

THE END