Chapter 8

April doesn't sleep that night. She can't. She keeps herself up most of the night listening to her son's heartbeat to make sure he's okay. It horrifies her to think that he's in danger. The closest thing April gets to sleep is when Jackson snuggles with her in the bed and she falls asleep in his arms. However, she is up quickly after that when Arizona and Stephanie enter the room. She sits up slowly, but still in Jackson's arms. "Good morning," Arizona greets with a smile. "Have we made a decision?" April nods and looks up at Jackson. "We're going with your procedure." Jackson says quietly. Arizona nods. "Alright. You're surgery is in a couple of minutes, so we're going to start getting you ready." Miranda, Callie, Meredith, Alex, Jo, Derek, Owen and Amelia come into the room, all doing various things to help April. Owen comes up to her side and gently slips her hair into a plastic hairnet. "Don't worry April," he says with a smile. "Everything is going to be fine. You and your baby will be great." She smiles softly. "Thank you." "Don't you worry," Miranda says as she gently strokes her forehead. "You are in great hands, Robbins will take great care of you." "Good luck Kepner." Alex says. April smiles faintly as tears roll down her cheeks. "Aw guys, thank you for coming. It makes me feel better." "Good," Derek says with a smile. "We know how it is. But, everything will turn out great. Don't worry." Meredith nods. "Especially since no intern will be in there with you." April weakly smiles as Jo gently takes her hand with Stephanie at her side. "We'll be right there Dr. Kepner to take your baby when it's born and we'll take great care of it." April nods. "Thank you." Amelia smiles. "I'll be there too, just to make sure that you're baby's fine." April smiles as Arizona looks at her friend. "And we'll all stick together and help where we can," Owen says confidently. "Just like we did for Callie." "Are you ready to go?" April nods. "Yes." she says softly. Jo and Stephanie unlock the wheels and begin to push her past the other Doctors. Owen plants a gentle kiss on her forehead and Callie gently strokes her cheeks. "Good luck April. We'll be waiting for you." April nods. "Okay." Jackson takes his wife's hand as Jo and Stephanie push the bed with Arizona at the side down the hallway, up the elevator and to the outside of the OR doors where they stop. "Wow," Jackson says softly. "It feels strange not going into the OR with the patient." "Arizona gently smiles. "Go ahead Jackson, you have some time." Jackson looks down at April as tears come to her eyes. "Hey," he says softly as he wipes the tears away gently. "No tears, it's alright. Things are gonna be just fine. You saw all of the other doctors, they're all waiting for you to return, they know you're coming back just fine, okay? We will be okay and we will go back to your hospital room with our baby." April nods. "Alright. I love you so much Jackson." Jackson smiles weakly. "And I love you April." He leans down and kisses her passionately for a while before pulling away. "Promise me." she says as she softly strokes his cheek. Jackson takes her hand from his cheek and kisses it, holding it with his hand up to his cheek. "I promise." They then take her back to the OR.