~Chapter 6~ The Birth

Season 1

The next morning, I woke up, yawned, and stretched. The sun rose, shining in my face. I squinted my eyes trying to see better. "Hello, Kia. Did you sleep well?" Mother asked walking over to me. "Yes, mom. Slept great." I smiled. Mom smiled. "Hello, princess," Dad said. "Hi, Dad," I said smiling. "Kia, I was thinking, since you did your first hunt amazingly, I thought that it was time for you to practice hunt with Akara." Mom said. I was excited until I heard "Akara". "Akara? But she's so... not mean, but she's just... way too firm." I complained. "Oh, you'll do fine. And I'll be right there on South Rock watching you. So whenever you feel nervous, scared, or impatient... just look up at your home and look for me." Mom said. Her encouraging words made me smile and I ran off to hunting practice. Mom smiled at Dad.

"OK, now let's begi-" Akara started but then heard me say, "Wait! I'm- I'm gonna hunt too." I was out of breath. All the lionesses "oohed and ahhed" when they heard what I said. "The PRINCESS also the FUTURE QUEEN is gonna hunt with us!?!?!!!" A lioness said from the group. "Heh," I chuckled nervously. I looked up at South Rock and saw Mom sitting up there watching me. I smiled and listened to everything Akara said.

A while later, we were done practice hunting. "Way to go, Your Highness!" A lioness cub from the group told me. "You did great on your first day." Another lioness cub said. I looked up at South Rock but Mom was gone. "Huh?" I wondered. "Princess Kia! Your mother needs to see you! Now!" A male lion from the pride said. My eyebrow raised and ears lowered just a bit. "What?" I wondered with a little bit of worry in my voice.

I went into South Rock and saw my mother laying on the ground breathing hard. "Mom!" I yelled as I ran over to her. All the lionesses were saying, "Aww, she's adorable! "So cute! She's darling!" I walked over to Mom and smiled at her. "You okay, Mom?" I asked. "I can truly say that I've never EVER been better." Mom smiled at me. She looked at her stomach and then I saw... a cub! "Mom! You finally gave birth!" I exclaimed happily. Mom nodded. "What's her name?" I asked. "Kabira," Mom answered. "I think it's funny that the whole family has the first letter "k" in their names." I said. Mom chuckled. "Yeah, well that's a backstory for another time." Mom said as she smiled. I smiled at my little sister. She was a light fulvous coated lion cub. She had a tuft of hair on her head that looked like bangs. I didn't see her eye color but she had a lighter underbelly, muzzle, paws, and eye shades. Her tail tuft was blackish brown but mostly looked like it was black. She looked mostly like Dad. It was funny because I looked like Mom and she looked like Dad. "This life just got better." I said. Mom looked sad though. "You okay, Mom?" I asked. "Yes, but..." Mom started. She looked at Dad and he seemed sad, too. "She's blind," Mom said. My ears perked up. "Oh..." I said sadly.

I was talking to Dad because he was patrolling the Southlands. "I'll be able to teach her how to hunt, I'll play with her every day, I'll teach her how to catch fish with her claws, I'll tell her all about the circle of life, we're gonna have the best sister relationship!" I said excitedly. "Kia, just know that being the youngest will have some... acceptance challenges. She might not accept that you will be queen someday very well." Dad told me. I was clearly not paying attention. "Uh-hu. Anyway, if we get into fights, we'll make up! And-" I started up again.

As I was walking around the edge of the Southlands, I realized I was a little far from South Rock so I decided to go back. But a snake scared me and I went tumbling into the Northlands. I looked around and everything was silent. "This is bad," I said to myself.

~South Rock~

"She's just so cute!" Adira said inside South Rock. "I know, I could just hold her all day and she'd never even know." Tabia said. "How would she not know?" Kesi asked raising her eyebrow. "Because she's blind," Tabia said laughing. None of the other cubs looked amused. "Tabia, being blind is nothing to laugh about." Adira said. "Adira's right, Tabia. Kabira can't help it, she was born like that." Barika said. "I know, I know, sorry." Tabia said lowering her ears. It was a good thing I wasn't there. I would've told Tabia off if I heard her talking about my sister like that. Speaking of me...

~The Northlands~

"OK... I just need to get out of here quietly without making a sound." I said to myself trembling. Just as I was about to walk, I heard a low growl. I growled back and said, "Show yourself!" I was pretty much a fearless lion cub at the time.