Fourteen

"so you guys are friends again?" Alejandro was shocked to hear mattias voice. he glanced up from his phone to see his brother standing in his doorway with crossed arms and a hard expression.

"we are working on it." he told him bluntly.

and it was true. they really weren't friends, they were working on it, even though things were incredibly tense still. Alejandro still reluctant in forgiving him and kairi still fucked up about the break up.

Mattia was quiet and if it weren't for his heavy breathing Alejandro would've assumed he'd left.

"Alejandro." after a pregnant silence mattia finally spoke and the tone behind his voice told Alejandro whatever he was about to say was serious.

"mattia." he countered cautiously. he didn't know what to expect from his brother with everything going on at the moment.

"What is your problem with me and Kairi?" this was a question he should've known was coming but in the end he wasn't at all prepared for it.

"what do you mean whats my problem? we've been over this way too many times. he was my bestfriend and you're my brother." it should be a simple enough answer. it was obvious. but still alejandro stumbled over his response, having to think twice about what he was going to say

"you can quit saying that because its clearly not just that. i get that theres this stupid boundary rule or whatever but its honestly not that serious." mattia shut his repetitive answer down quickly, knowing that was going to be the first thing he'd say.

alejandro scoffed. "its about respect mattia. not that you'd know anything about that."

at this point mattia was getting frustrated. he didnt come in here to be told the same half asses explanation over and over again when he knew for a fact thats not what it was about.

its like Alejandro forgets how well mattia knows him. he knows he'd never been that concerned about loyalty to "bro code" or anything like that. while he expected him to be mad, he knew he wasn't this pressed over something like that and all he wanted was the truth.

"can you just be straight with me for a fucking moment alejandro? i get it, i messed up. fucking with your bestfriend. but you won, we aren't together and he's yours again. I think you can at least tell me the truth about why i lost my boyfriend-" the very last part of his small rant getting caught in his throat. everything about that day, kairis words, the way he felt when it was done was coming back. Alejandro was surprised to see the tears that glossed over mattias eyes and the way his voice shook as if it hurt just talking about it.

mattia was never an openly emotional person. he wasn't completely cold, he cried and laughed and got mad like any other human but he didn't let most people see that part of him. whenever he was upset or anything he'd isolate himself or act like he was fine, so if you ever see him cry or something its deep to him.
and thats what surprised alejandro mostly. he never knew kairi meant so much to him, at least not enough to get him so torn up.

alejandro swallowed thickly trying to push down his doubts about what he's been doing and opened his mouth to speak. "you're not good enough for him." his voice was quiet, and maybe a little unsure but mattia caught it.

"how could you even say that when you've never seen us as a couple, too busy bashing us to realize how happy we were. you're not there with us to see how hard i try to he good for him and keep him happy. " 

"yeah well I've seen you with your other partners and i see how those have ended. And clearly i was right because in the end you couldn't even keep him happy enough to stay with you." it was instant. the way mattias face fell, and the way he almost flinched at the words as if they were physically attacking him.

he breathed slowly, trying not to get too worked up. "i tried my best okay. im not a perfect fucking boyfriend but i tried and i did what i could to be the best possible boyfriend for him." mattia inhaled sharply at the cold tear that slipped down his cheek. he roughly wiped his wet eyes with tightly clenched fists, angry at himself for crying again.

crying was maybe one of mattias biggest insecurities. when he cries he's at his most vulnerable state and he didn't need anyone seeing him that weak because people tend to take advantage of that.

"thats the problem. your best isn't good enough. he deserves someone who can keep him happy and comfortable always." Alejandro told him.

"and who is that someone? you?" it wasnt to he taken too literally, but the look on alejandros face made it seem like he was seriously considering it.

mattia stayed quiet for a moment trying to sort his thoughts. his mind ran a mile a minute as he jumped from conclusion to conclusion. before he came up with one that actually scared him.

he tried to approach it gently, not wanting to seem irrational.

he spoke slowly as if he were talking to a small child "alejandro... tell me you dont like kairi."

he didn't speak right away, his eyes were wide and defensive but he didnt seem completely against the accusation.

"alejandro tell me you do not like Kairi."
mattia pushed once again, this time actually receiving an answer.
"what? of course not! i just want him to be with-"
it was very clear to mattia that Alejandro was lying. and the more he continued to deny it the angrier he got.

"you. you want him to be with you."

"no! no i said no. i dont fucking like kairi." alejandros expression was wild and he tried to seem believable but mattia took his little discovery and ran with it.

"yes you do. it all makes sense now. you think im not enought because you are. you've treated the two or us like shit and made us feel guilty for loving eachother, not because you think we are disloyal and broke your trust or because you feel betrayed but because you're jealous." mattia accused more, stepping deeper into his brothers room.

Alejandro shook his head. "no- for fucks sake-"

but mattia wasn't done.
"you dont want me with him, not because im your brother but because you want him. you want kairi to yourself and so you acted like a hurt bestfriend and manipulated him to break up with me under the false notion that he was being a 'real friend'. you think you deserve him and that you'll keep him happier than i could."

He didnt actually realize it until now but mattia was right. thats why he was so mad about the two being together. he knew now kairi would've got the same treatment no matter who he was with. brother or not.

he wasn't hurt because they went behind his back, he was hurt because he wasn't the one to have him.
and there was no use in denying it now.

"couldnt i?"
mattia looked confused so he continued.

"make him happier i mean. im his best friend. i know him better than anyone else. i know what makes him mad, or sad. i know what makes him laugh. i know the little things about him that you couldn't of possible found out in one year."

mattia was taken aback by his sudden aggressiveness. "Alejandro what is you plan of action here? do you honestly think kairi is going to go with you? especially having just gotten out of a relationship."

"what you guys had could hardly be called a relationship. and i'll wait."

"he wont want you Alejandro." and mattia was confident he was right.

especially after he'd told him the real reason the break up happened. kairi wouldn't want anything to do with him, romantically at least.

"we'll see."

Authors note:
I PROMISE ALE GETS BETTER 😩😩
more on kairis perspective next episode 😌😌 since he wasn't in this chapter at all

p.s: i just realized i wrote episode instead of chapter😩 but i'm leaving it as a reminder of how dumb i am sometimes

Axxx