Chapter 5B

*This chapter is from Jax's point of view.*

I almost made it to my engagement without sleeping with another girl. Almost. After my parents told me about their plans for me to marry the daughter of Dyer Group, I stopped partying as much as I used to. I wasn't irresponsible by any means, but I was known to relief my stress every now and then. It wasn't until the office party. I'd been six months dry and that chick was determined to sleep with me. I was too weak to refuse her. Now I was stuck in this sticky situation. Luckily, I found out about the pregnancy before she could do anything rash. It was a type of curse on my family. We were only able to have one child in our lifetime, and as fate would have it, the small but somewhat feisty woman named Amina was carrying my child. It wasn't ready to explain the situation to my parents, seeing as it wasn't apart of their plan for me, but they understood why I made a deal with her. This would be my only child. Even at the young age of 28 years old, I knew the weight of the consequences if I let her abort the baby.

After picking Amina up from her shared apartment with one of my employees, I brought her to my house. I included the clause of her living with me after seeing her temperament. She seemed like the type to do something rash once she was upset. I didn't plan to upset her, but I could already tell that our personalities would clash. I was very straightforward with everything I did, and my company came first. Amina looked around in awe. It was to be expected. This was probably the biggest house she'd ever stepped foot in. I gave her a quick tour before showing her to her room. I set her luggage down before finishing the tour in the kitchen. My long time maid, Esther was already there preparing dinner. Esther was more than my maid, however. The plump woman practically raised me in absence of my parents. I trusted her with everything.

"If you get hungry, just tell Esther. She lives here as well. You can ask her whatever you need," I explained. Amina smiled and greeted her before looking to me.

"That's all?" Amina asked. I quirked an eyebrow at her.

"What more were you expecting?" I asked curiously. Amina shrugged as she toyed with a few of the appliances mindlessly.

"Nothing, I guess," she answered. She sighed before putting a smile back on her face. I could tell she was nervous, but she was trying to hide it.

"So where is this fiancé I've heard so much about?" She asked. I sighed as I loosened my tie and leaned against the counter.

"Hopefully, you never meet her. She's the daughter of another large company my parents want to work with long term. Hence, the marriage merger," I explained.

"So it's a contract marriage, like I'm a contract surrogate," she compared.

"Pretty much," I confirmed. She frowned as she shook her head. "What?" I asked. She sighed and looked at me before quickly looking away.

"I just find it kind of sad. Don't you have anyone in your life who's real?" She asked. Her question caught me off guard. She was sympathetic towards me, but I found her in a worse position.

"Our lives are not the same. When money is involved, everything needs a contract, even relationships," I explained.

"Jax," Esther interrupted. I was actually glad for her timing. Esther smiled at me knowingly. "Dinner is ready," she announced. She stood in front of Amina and held out a hand.

"Hi dear, I'm Esther. Sorry, I get in a world all my own when I cook. Jax tells me that you'll be living here from now on. This place gets kind of lonely, but it's not too bad. Come find me if you need anything," Esther introduced herself. Amina smiled as she shook her hand.

"I'm Amina, but everyone calls me Minnie or Min. It's nice to meet you," Amina said. I remembered her introducing herself as Minnie the first time we met.

"Dinner is ready. Go take a seat and I'll bring you a plate," Esther said to Amina. She nodded before I showed her to the dining room. After Esther brought the food out, we began eating in an awkward silence. This girl was being hesitant, I knew that much, but why? I thought she'd be super talkative and excited once she got here. Instead, she was quiet.

"Does the food not suit your taste?" I asked after a moment. Our dinner was steak with mashed potatoes and broccoli, so I couldn't see how she wouldn't like it, but she was too quiet.

"It's good," She answered simply before taking another bite.

"Oh right, I scheduled a doctor's appointment for tomorrow to check on the baby. Based on what they say, we'll go from there," I said mostly to break the silence.

"How are we to go to a doctor's office when we can't be seen in public together?" She asked. I hesitated before I finished chewing my bite.

"The doctor I'm taking you to has signed a nondisclosure agreement as well," I answered. She looked disappointed.

"Again with the contracts," she muttered.

"When money is involved-"

"Everything needs a contract, I get it. You should just put it on a bumper sticker," she interrupted me. She was odd. I knew from my second meeting with her that was was defensive by nature, but there was something that I didn't get. In the situation she was in, how could she still be sympathetic towards me? In her eyes, I was the pitiful one. It didn't make any sense. I sighed before going back to my food and giving up on the conversation. It felt weird talking to someone else in my house anyway. For as long as I could remember, I ate alone in my home. Now, someone would be in my space for almost a year. How was I going to adjust?