Chapter 7B

*Jax's point of view.*

Amina was different; that much was apparent. After accidentally hurting her, she stayed by my side while I worked. I expected her to be mad at me, or even chastise me. Something other than the quiet support I received from her. It wasn't until after I'd finished and shut everything down, that I realized she fell asleep. Her face was relaxed and her breathing was even and deep. I almost forgot she was carrying my child. She looked like a child herself as she lay there in a relaxed fetal position. She wasn't petite, but she was thin. Besides her hips and chest, her waist was small. I knew she wouldn't show right away, but some indicator to remind me she was pregnant would have been nice. At least when her belly started growing, I would be reminded that I had to be careful with her. The life growing inside of her was so fragile and important. I couldn't afford mistakes like the one I made today. I hadn't been the nicest to her, I admit. But when I find I don't know how to talk to someone, I turn hostile quickly. It's not on purpose, but it's a defense mechanism I learned at a very early age.

Despite everything, Amina looked so at peace. With everything I'd done to her, I couldn't see how she was still willing to talk to me, let alone care for me. She cared for me in a way no one had before, and I didn't know how to react. I'd never had someone worry so much over whether or not I ate, or rested properly. As long as business deals were made in a timely manner, my parents could care less about my health. They didn't even bother to visit much anymore. True, I could talk to people in any business setting, but in my own home, I was clueless.

"Do you want me to get a blanket for Minnie?" Esther asked, bringing me out of my thoughts. I glanced at her before shaking my head.

"No need. I'll take her to her room," I said quietly. I stood and stretched my limbs before cradling her in my arms. I carried her up to her room and laid her down on her bed before pulling the covers over her. She was a mystery to me. Amina wasn't from my world, and I think that's what caught my interest. I sighed and brushed a strand of hair out of her face softly. Her hands came up and gripped my arm tightly as her eyebrows etched in worry.

"Don't go. Don't leave me alone... please," she muttered in her sleep. I felt bad for putting her through having my child. I didn't even think of what other issues she may face on her own. I had her locked in the house all day, and only Esther could keep her company. I knew what it was like to be alone in a big house with nothing but the maid. I didn't enjoy it when it happened to me, yet I was putting her through the same thing. I was suddenly reminded of her words from earlier: how would I raise my child? I had planned to do what my parents did to me, but it's lonely growing up without parental love. I wasn't even able to make friends because my parents had warned me from an early age that everyone would just be after my money.

I found that I started to worry about things I would've never worried about, had it not been for Amina. I was due to be engaged to Siobhan Dyer soon. If you asked me a month ago, I would've asked about her company's statistics, but now, I was curious about who she was as a person. Was she gentle and kindhearted, yet protective like Amina, or was she stone-faced and calculating like my own mother? My own parents were married through company arrangement as well, and their marriage was nothing to sneeze at. They're conversations were business deals. I could tell very early on that they didn't love each other, but they made me think that with all the money they made, love wasn't important. I was beginning to think it was important, and it was all Amina's fault.

I sighed as I sat on the floor and leaned against the bed. Amina wasn't letting go of my arm and I was getting sleepy. I rested my head against my arm with a yawn. I guess it couldn't hurt if I rested here until Amina loosened her grip at least. Watching her face as she slept, I found myself wanting to be better towards her. As least she was pitiful enough to make me feel sympathetic.