Chapter 15

With Siobhan gone, things calmed down at the house. My panic attacks stopped too. Jax made it a point to try to come home earlier and spend time with me, but it was a double edged sword. On one hand, I was comforted, but on the other, I was getting attached to a man I knew could never be mine. My stomach seemed to be getting rounder by the day. I had doctor's appointments more frequently as I got further along in the pregnancy, and Jax still kept true to his promise and came to every single one of them.

It wasn't until I was seven months along, that our pattern got interrupted. The Signa's finally planned the engagement party. For obvious reasons, I wasn't going, but Jax was required to be there. I watched silently as he sling the tie around his neck to tie it. I couldn't tell if I was upset because of Siobhan, or because Jax was leaving, but I didn't tie his tie this time. I sat on the couch with one hand over my stomach and the other on the remote. Jax turned to me as he grabbed his suit jacket.

"I'll be back," he said to me before touching my stomach gently.

"Bye, little bean," he cooed at my stomach. Jax has been talking to my stomach more and more recently. The first time he touched my stomach was awkward for both of us, but now, it was a normal movement. I stayed quiet as I changed the channel on the television. Jax sighed before sitting next to me and taking my hand in his.

"Are you mad?" He asked. It was a blunt and direct question that I couldn't answer. I knew I had no right to be mad, but the engagement party was crawling under my skin for some reason I couldn't pinpoint. I sighed before I finally looked at him.

"What would I be mad about?" I countered. Jax didn't say anything as he looked at me. After tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, he stood and put his suit jacket over his arm.

"I don't know what time this thing will end. Don't wait up for me if you get tired," he said before he left. I sighed and relaxed against the couch. I knew the situation clearly, so why did it bother me so much? It wasn't even a full ten minutes before a text message came across my screen. It was from Asher. Curiously, I opened it.

Asher: Emergency! Meet me at Plaza Hotel in the main ballroom.

I stared at the message suspiciously. Asher was never one to really get himself in trouble. If he was really in trouble, it must have been bad for him to text me. I quickly dressed in a blue floor length sundress and called for a driver. After letting Esther know I was going out for a minute, I got in the car and headed to the hotel. The entire ride, I only imagined the worst. When I finally arrived at the hotel, I found myself rushing. When I entered the ballroom, I froze. The room was full of people. The giant banner glued my feet to the floor and sent ice through my veins.

The banner read 'Congratulations Jaxon and Siobhan on your engagement'.

I was exactly where I didn't want to be. A few heads turned my way, but those who didn't know me, ignored me for the most part. It looked as if all Signa staff were present as well as others. Asher noticed me and his smile dropped but someone else reached me before he could.

"Oh, the surrogate. So glad you could join us," Siobhan smiled. I couldn't move. I couldn't talk. This was the last place I wanted to be. Siobhan took my silence as a cue to keep going.

"Please, help yourself to some refreshments. You've probably noticed by now that the text was fake. I swiped your friend's phone when he wasn't looking. But now that you're here, I'm sure you've noticed the vast gap between Jax and you. Just in case you got too cozy with my fiancée in my absence, I wanted to remind you of your place," Siobhan explained. I felt my eyes water, but I couldn't find any words. Jax suddenly took the microphone on the stage. Siobhan smirked before she left me to join Jax on the stage. It was like seeing a car crash up close. For some reason, I couldn't look away as I felt the first tear roll down my cheek. Asher finally made his way to me, but it was like I was in a trance. Jax met my eye before he looked to the rest of the crowd.

"Thank you for coming everyone," he started. "I know everyone has gathered today to congratulate Siobhan and I on the engagement... but it's premature. I'm not getting engaged yet. Just think of this as a get together and enjoy yourselves," Jax said before he glanced at Siobhan and left the stage. He made a beeline for me, grabbing me wrist and dragging me behind him as he left the venue. I stopped, pulling my wrist out of his grasp as we stood under the awning outside. He stopped and turned back to look at me. My tears had a mind of their own as they trailed down my cheeks.

"I know I'm supposed to be a secret, but I didn't know what it was when I came. You don't have to be in such a hurry to pull me out. I would've left on my own," I said quietly. He sighed and paced for a moment before he draped his suit jacket over my shoulders. His hands went to my face and wiped my tears away, but they were only replaced by more.

"I didn't take you out because I was embarrassed. I took you out because I was about to lose my shit," he explained. My water-filled eyes looked into his fiery ones. He looked livid, but it didn't seemed to be geared towards me.

"Why did you call off the engagement? Why are you so angry?" I asked. Jax sighed before pulling my into a hug, my head resting on his chest.

"Because I heard what Siobhan said to you," he answered softly.