Chapter 14

I woke feeling confused, like I just had a bad dream. All memories from the night before seemed to have vanished. I could barely remember anything after Siobhan throwing my clothes into the pool. Everything before that was even a blur. My head pounded as I tried to sit up. I noticed Jax's sleeping figure beside me first. His hand held on to mine tightly as I tried to release it and look around. Jax stirred before looking at me quickly. He sighed before relaxing.

"You're awake," he yawned. I nodded as I sat up and faced him.

"What happened?" I asked.

"That's what I want to know," he replied. "When you left like that, I came home after moving all of my appointments around. You had yourself locked in the bathroom. When I got to you, you looked like you were about to open up your wrists with a knife. You cried yourself to sleep after that," Jax explained quietly and sadly.

"I just remember the starting of a panic attack, and then waking up here," I said confused. I didn't remember any of that.

"Are you having panic attacks often?" He asked. I kept my mouth shut as I looked at my stomach.

"Is it because of Siobhan?" He followed up. I hesitated before I nodded. If I'd gone that far to hurt myself yesterday, I couldn't keep it bottled up anymore. If I did, who knows what will happen next time.

"She threw all my clothes in the pool yesterday. She constantly belittles me and doesn't even use my name when she talks to me. She's locked me out of my room, all the bathrooms, has purposefully tried to make me throw up, delayed my meals, and more. She knew she couldn't touch me, so she found ways around it. Her being here has been a living hell," I answered honestly. Jax sighed before hugging me gently.

"If all of this was going on, you should have told me about it. I can't do anything if I don't know anything. Your friend was right to be angry with me," he tried to comfort me.

"I didn't want to make the situation worse. She's your fiancé," I admitted. Jax pulled back and looked at me as he held my shoulders gently.

"It's a merger marriage; practically only paperwork.  You and our baby's wellbeing come first," he responded.

Our baby?

It was words like this that got me too attached in the first place. A sense of belonging. A sense of being apart of Jax's, and this child's, life.

"Your baby," I corrected him.

"I'm going to fix this," he promised before he stood.

"Wait, right now?" I asked. He nodded with a look of determination.

"Yes, right now. If having Siobhan here puts you in harms way, it's not worth it," he said before he left my room. I stood and stretched before following him. He went down the hallway to her room before knocking. As soon as he knocked, I turned to leave. I felt it would be better if I wasn't there for the scene that was about to play out. Jax grabbed my wrist, making me stand next to him as we waited. Eventually, Siobhan opened the door. She looked confused when she saw the two of us standing at her door.

"Jax, what's up?" She asked innocently.

"Pack your things up and go home," he said, getting straight to the point.

"Wait, what? Why?" She pouted sparing a glance at me.

"You almost made Minnie, and the baby, die. You've been caught. I warned you when you moved in to leave Min alone, and what did you do? Esther told me everything. You're done here," Jax ordered. Her jaw slacked as her eyes widened.

"I didn't touch her though," Siobhan tried to defend herself.

"Not directly, no, but you purposely made it hard for her. Only because she's still alive, I can forgive you for it. For the reminder of the pregnancy, you can't live in this house," he countered. She scoffed before glaring at me.

"You probably don't even realize it yet yourself, do you? 'Minnie'... 'Min'... you have all these cute nicknames for the surrogate that I think I've only heard you say her full name once, and that was in front of your parents. You're personal feelings for the girl who isn't your fiancé is clearly clouding your judgement. You haven't even tried to get to know me," she argued.

"My judgement isn't clouded. You're just probably used to being spoiled and having all the attention on you and I won't do that. I have no reason to get to know you. I already know that you're childish and immature. Plus, It's a done deal anyway. I didn't ask to be married to you, but I know how to make it work. My only condition was not to mess with my heir and his mother, but you can't even do that," he retorted.

"I'm the one who's going to be the boy's mother, remember?" She reminded him. He scoffed.

"Based on your current attitude, I wouldn't let you anywhere near my son. What happens when you get jealous of a baby? Do you starve it to death?" Jax asked rhetorically. She was stunned into silence.

"Go... before I break the whole engagement off completely," he said she scoffed twice before she went back into her room and closed the door between us. We were left to stand there awkwardly.

"Do you think she'll leave?" I asked quietly. He smirked before turning away from Siobhan's door.

"Of course she will. This merger is the only worth she has to her family," he promised. I followed Jax back to my room and sat on my bed. Jax sat next to me and took my hand in his own.

"And you... you need to tell me when you're having a hard time. Even if it's because of me, I want to know. Do you know how scared I was when I found you?" He said sternly. I found myself hanging my head in shame.

"I'm sorry. I should've thought more about the baby," I apologized. He signed before squeezing my hand gently.

"Not just the baby... you matter too," he stopped me. I stared at him in a stunned silence. He had no idea how dangerous his words were.