Chapter 19

At the hospital, I waited patiently as Jax's father eyed me from his hospital bed. We were waiting on Jax's mother. Jax sat next to me quietly until his mother finally came into the room. She was fuming mad and didn't even bother with the formalities.

"Do you know how much coaxing it took to get the Dyer family not to cancel the wedding altogether? Do you have any idea what you almost cost us?" His mother asked as she stood in front of us. "Luckily, there was only one reporter who saw you two and pieces it together. I also stopped the story from getting out. What were you thinking? Why was this woman at your engagement party?"

I knew his mother was fierce, but I was ready to offer to dig my own grave and quietly lay in it with the glare she was giving me. Lasers shot from her eyes to me. I could practically hear her thoughts. In her mind, I was to blame. I was in the wrong. I was the one who colored outside of the lines. I photobombed her picture perfect family.

"If you want to blame someone, blame Siobhan. She was the one who invited Amina. She wouldn't have even been there is Siobhan didn't text her to come. And her only purpose of inviting her was to try and intimidate her," Jax responded calmly.

"And you kicked her out of your house? Where do you find the nerve?" His mother snapped.

"I kicked her out for the sake of my heir. Siobhan's actions nearly got both of them killed. I'll put my child over a contract marriage any day," Jax answered without hesitation.

"But this girl-"

"Amina is carrying my child, and stop talking about her like she's not in the room. You may not like the situation, but you should still show respect. She is a human being, not just an incubator," Jax stood up for me.

"It sounds like you have feelings for this girl," his father said. It was like I wasn't even here. I felt like the reason I was here was only so his parents could keep an eye on me.

"You were supposed to be getting engaged! Don't tell me you didn't announce it because of her?" His mom said, flustering herself.

"Minnie has nothing to do with this! Siobhan is digging her own grave by getting too invested in her title. I would tell you to talk to her, but in your eyes, your future daughter in law can do no wrong. She would probably sweet talk her way out of it anyway. Open your eyes, would you? This is my one and only heir. You know that better than I do. I will not risk Sterling for anything or anybody," Jax replied heatedly.

"Sterling? You named the child already... by yourself?" His mother asked. Jax sighed and rubbed a hand over his face.

"Don't you find it odd that you expect me to do nothing for myself? What? I can't even name my own son by myself now? I need your permission to do that too?" Jax asked sarcastically.

"Of course you have a hand in naming your child, but of course we should still have some input. Sterling doesn't seem like a good fit. It's not a strong boy name. Plus, do you even know the origin meaning?" His mother replied. She was relentless.

"Of course I do. It means little star. And why do you get input on what I name my son? I'm running the company by myself, don't you think it's about time you let me run my own life?" Jax countered. His father sighed before looking to his wife.

"For now, stay at the house. We'll discuss this more when we visit after this drama has passed," his father said. Jax sighed before he stood.

"Well, you know where you can find us," Jax said, motioning for me to stand. I stood and said a quick goodbye before I followed Jax out of the room. As we walked down the hallway, Jax released a breath.

"It'll be okay," I said reassuringly even though I wasn't sure myself. We drove home together, although it was a quiet ride. Jax was irritated and I didn't want to push him. When we got inside, I sat on the couch while Jax continued to pace the living room floor. I waited patiently, but Jax didn't calm down at all.

"Jax?" I asked when he finally stopped pacing. He turned to me quickly.

"I'm going to the office to get the new contract notarized now," he said before he left quickly. I sighed and relaxed against the couch as I rested my hands over my stomach. Esther came into the living room hesitantly.

"How did it go?" she asked. I chuckled humorlessly.

"Just about as well as you think it would go. Jax went to the office for a moment," I answered. Esther sighed before smiling suddenly.

"What would you like to eat? You're probably hungry," she changed the subject.

"Pizza and mustard?" I replied. Esther only chuckled before going back to the kitchen. I turned the TV on as I waited. After an hour, Esther handed me the pizza as Jax came back home. He saw me eating the pizza and smiled softly while holding up the file.

"It's done. I feel like I can finally relax now," he sighed in relief as he sat beside me on the couch. I ate my pizza quietly. Jax put an arm over the back of the couch.

"Pizza with... mustard?" Jax chuckled. I shrugged.

"It's Sterling's fault, not mine," I joked with a mouth full of pizza. Jax smiled before turning the channel on the TV.

"I expect a few visitors in the next few days. Some of the company directors decided to come here for a briefing instead of the office for obvious reasons. If Siobhan comes, I'm going to let her in. Also if you think anything is a trick of hers, go with it. Record it if you can, but if it's starts feeling dangerous, you call me immediately," he said. I nodded before taking another bite of pizza.

"Now that we have a solid plan, I think I feel a little better. And honestly, it's a genius plan. If your parents want Sterling to carry on the inheritance, they'll have no choice but to deal with me and be nice. Hopefully, they'll warm up to me and start doing it because they actually like me and not out of obligation," I said wishfully.